Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking away food as punishment

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Why? Its a natural consequence and its snack, not a meal.

Quoting hyper_bunny:

I would definitely talk to the teacher. That is absolutely unacceptable if it were my son. I understand the whole punishment thing but that is not appropriate. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
What should have been done? When should the child ate her snack?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Wow.. I'd be talking to the teacher & principal about that one. Our school is NOT allowed to withhold food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Why is it inappropriate?

Quoting AllofFive19:

You can let your child follow rules, accept consequences, AND let the adult in charge know that the consequence was inappropriate for the behavior. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe teach your daughter to follow the rules? Instead of blaming the teacher for having to punish her?

Quoting Anonymous:

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends.

Was the food taken from her for talking?

Or did she just not finish it during snack time because she was talking?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Wow.. I'd be talking to the teacher & principal about that one. Our school is NOT allowed to withhold food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Answer both then.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

It depends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't. I don't think it's wrong. Meals should never be denied, but snacks yes. Snacks are for fun, not for sustenence. EVERYTHING goes on a schedule, including snack time. When kids are talking too much or being too distracted, or haven't put their shoes on, I remind them that snack time is only from __ to __ and that there are only a few minutes left. When the time is up, we move on. We cannot hold the class from moving forward because of a few students. It takes away from circle time or stations or who knows what. So I don't think it's wrong. Maybe she'll learn not to talk so much and she'll value snack time from now on.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I do not think food should be taken away as punishment. We actually encourage kids to talk during snack time, to discuss days events, whats going on in their lives, nutritional facts about food, ect. But we do encourage them to finish snack, too. If she hadn't finished snack because she did not want to stop talking, then that is her own fault & maybe in the future she will learn to eat & then talk, or space them out evenly. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Answer both then.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

It depends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM
So you would take it away...ie have her put it in her bookbag like in OP case.

Maybe the teacher has a different philosophy than you. Maybe the class had a quiet snack as puishment due to something else.
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I do not think food should be taken away as punishment. We actually encourage kids to talk during snack time, to discuss days events, whats going on in their lives, nutritional facts about food, ect. But we do encourage them to finish snack, too. If she hadn't finished snack because she did not want to stop talking, then that is her own fault & maybe in the future she will learn to eat & then talk, or space them out evenly. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Answer both then.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

It depends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to let this go. talk to your daughter about talking. here they are not allowed to talk until they are done with their lunch, then out to the door to the playground(if the weather is nice). this came about because some kids were busy talking and not eating, then going home to complain.  there for yes your daughter is in the wrong and no snack for her.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

If she didn't finish by the time snack was over, yes.

I read it as the teacher taking it away before snack was over. Sorry if I misunderstood. I just described what OUR school does. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So you would take it away...ie have her put it in her bookbag like in OP case.

Maybe the teacher has a different philosophy than you. Maybe the class had a quiet snack as puishment due to something else.
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting Anonymous:

Answer both then.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

It depends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN