Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking away food as punishment

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Replies (41-49):
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is only being punished for talking too much, taking away her snack time was wrong. If she was talking too much during snack time and that's why she didn't get to eat, it was fine.

I'm not speaking of this incident alone, I'm speaking generally. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is it inappropriate?

Quoting AllofFive19:

You can let your child follow rules, accept consequences, AND let the adult in charge know that the consequence was inappropriate for the behavior. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe teach your daughter to follow the rules? Instead of blaming the teacher for having to punish her?

Quoting Anonymous:

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It's just a snack, kid won't starve to death, good god.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Ask the teacher what happened. Sometimes kids misunderstand and convey things incorrectly.

I've worked in a preschool and the general rule of thumb is that snack time lasts X minutes. If your mouth is running the whole time and snack is over and you didn't eat, too bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I still think it is absolutely unnecessary. There are many other consequences that can be used instead of this. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why? Its a natural consequence and its snack, not a meal.

Quoting hyper_bunny:

I would definitely talk to the teacher. That is absolutely unacceptable if it were my son. I understand the whole punishment thing but that is not appropriate. 

1likeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I would ask about it just to be clear about what happened. I would assume that my child was chatting during snack time instead of eating their snack and it's reasonable to send it for later.
Itzy0ll0tl
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

that is UNACCEPTABLE, that can cause her to have phycological issues with food.

if he got in trouble for talking , then she can be put on a time out, I would be talking to the principal

mommynac
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Yes. That is BS
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Maybe she didnt get to eat it, because she was talking too much at lunch?

lildensmom
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Yes, I would say something! That is not right. Your child bought a snack b/c most likely she was hungry. I dont know who some of these teachers think they are! I have some horror stories from some teachers of my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)