Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want to babysit my friends kids... how to say no without offending them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I am past my babysitting days, I have kids of my own and once they are in bed it's my time, I don't really get many breaks other than that. I was recently asked by a friend if I would watch her DD, not knowing how to say no nicely I said sure (was put on the spot) but then she made it sound like she isn't even planing on paying me, she mentioned she would be happy to watch my kids some time (like to return the favor) which would be great but I won't let her watch my kids, as I don't like how her DH & her fight all the time etc. and I am sure he would be home, he doesn't work currently. SO I guess I am watching her DD for free all night when I really don't want to, but I said I would so I will. 

In the future how would you say no without hurting your friends feelings? It's not that I don't like kids, I do and am great with them but as I said before I have my own and I am tired when the day is done and am past my babysitting days. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Tell them you think you have plans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Angel83
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM
I'd tell people up front
Yes I'll watch your kids I charge such and such an hour.

If you don't wanna watch at all then just say
Sorry but I don't babysit anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell the truth.   "I am just not interested in babysitting at this point in my life." 

If she is a very dear friend, you could consider adding, "I'll be here if you ever have a really big emergency, but otherwise, I am not available for babysitting."

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Just tell her the truth. Your tired at the end of the day and you have to get ready for the next.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I would just feel really rude doing either. I don't want her thinking it's anything personal, it's not, I'm just past my babysitting years.

Quoting Army_Angel83:

I'd tell people up front
Yes I'll watch your kids I charge such and such an hour.

If you don't wanna watch at all then just say
Sorry but I don't babysit anymore

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I have a former friend who pawned her 2 kids off on ppl every weekend. She had a family member who would take the dd but not the ds so I offered since the dd had come over before. Next thing I know she's telling me it would be over night & she wouldn't pick up til after 1 the next day! Needless to say I don't offer anymore. And she & I are no longer friends.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I have had experiences like this as well, part of why I don't like babysitting anymore. Nothing like sitting up until 2am with a crying baby waiting for their mom who is over 2 hours late :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a former friend who pawned her 2 kids off on ppl every weekend. She had a family member who would take the dd but not the ds so I offered since the dd had come over before. Next thing I know she's telling me it would be over night & she wouldn't pick up til after 1 the next day! Needless to say I don't offer anymore. And she & I are no longer friends.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Make up an illness like flu, croup, strep...just to name a few
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Supervane:

Make up an illness like flu, croup, strep...just to name a few

The problem with polite excuses is that they only work for the moment.   Also, if you KEEP making excuses, finally you get the point accross, but honesty is better.   If you keep making excuses, it's possible the other person will take it person, get their feelings hurt, or whatnot.

Better to just say, "Sorry, I babysat a lot when I was young, but I don't do it now that I have kids of my own."

Dontchawishuknu
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I'm with you.  My babysitting days (except for the occasional night with one of the grandbabies) is OVER....Whenever my younger friends with their younger kids start hinting or flat out ask about me sitting for them since "I have so much free time and they need a break", I simply tell them what my going rate is.  If they complain, I tell them they always have the option of taking their children elsewhere.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)