Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens reading 50 Shades of Grey

Posted by   + Show Post
So I wa talking to one of my girl friends earlier. As was telling me how everyone around her seemed to be pregnant (including me) I told her it was the 50 Shades of Grey baby boom. She laughed and said "you mean that new teen book?"

Haha No! 50 shades is not appropriate for teens, although it was so poorly written that you would think a teen wrote it.

But anyways...

She then proceeds to tell me that her little sister (who is still in high school) was talking about it with her friends. Evidently one of her friends said it was "just like Twilight!" She told me that she thought her sister was currently reading it.

I told her that I hoped not. It was way to erotic for her innocent sisters mind. Really. Her sister is 16, still a virgin and never even been kissed. She is very Chrisitian and plans to stay a virgin until she gets married.

I really hope that if she started reading it she stopped once she realized what it was.

But my goodness!

I really hope teens aren't going around telling others it is just like Twilight. Seriously

I'm no prude but it was a bit much for teenagers. It was almost a bit much for me and I'm a married woman!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I don't feel they are appropriate books for teenagers, or at least younger ones..  They do sell them at Walmart, but they are shrink wrapped.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Yeah her mom would not be okay with it! This same mom read everything before letting my BFF read it and watched every movie before letting her watch it. But she has mellowed in her old age and doesn't monitor as closely.

But with Kindles and iPhones it hard to be sure what your kids are reading!

Quoting FitMom2025:

I would have a hard time not hitting a parent who had no problem with their kids reading those books.  What the hell is wrong with people.  Ugh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaeAnne.USAF
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I know but it's not it containing sex and bdsm that bothers me. It's the abuse. Pick up someof the ya books. They don't have female protagonists. They are filled with relationships that either are abusive or are showing the warning signs of getting worse.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I can't believe they have it in the you g adult section, that is crazy!

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

I would want her to read either. Teen girls read these books and then think that's what a relationship should be like. That they should be helpless, stupid, and always go with what her bf says. Girls today need much better role models.

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

It's because 50 Shades of Grey is based off of Twilight. I'd rather my 16 year old daughter read that, then actually go around having real sex.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

It is just like twilight. Just actual sex. But the story line is the same. Innocent girl is friends with guy A who really wants her. She falls in love with Guy B who is an ass, treats her like crap and is abusive. By the end of the series she's kind of changed him and they live happily ever after in their own fucked up relationship. Tada. Somebody give me my millions!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Eh, when I was 13-14 I would swipe my mom's Jackie Collins' books. Teens know what sex is, just teach them to not copy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraLovesEli29
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I agree to a point. I've read Twilight, not 50 Shades, probably never will. Liked Twilight, but girls do have way too much perception about relationships when it comes to those type of books. Then they get their hopes up too high and expect every guy to be like Jacob or Edward when in reality no guys are like that. To me it's just a book. If my daughter wanted to read it I'd probably let her. At 16 that isn't such a bad age. Like I said, I'd rather her read that then be having real sex. It's just different preferences for different people. I understand where you're coming from also, though.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

I would want her to read either. Teen girls read these books and then think that's what a relationship should be like. That they should be helpless, stupid, and always go with what her bf says. Girls today need much better role models.

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

It's because 50 Shades of Grey is based off of Twilight. I'd rather my 16 year old daughter read that, then actually go around having real sex.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

It is just like twilight. Just actual sex. But the story line is the same. Innocent girl is friends with guy A who really wants her. She falls in love with Guy B who is an ass, treats her like crap and is abusive. By the end of the series she's kind of changed him and they live happily ever after in their own fucked up relationship. Tada. Somebody give me my millions!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Glad you said no.

I had a college reading level when I was in elementary school. My patents had a hard time monitoring what I read.

But still...

Quoting sheramom4:

I pretty much let my teens read anything and everything so imagine my 13 1/2 year old daughters surprise when I told her she could NOT read 50 Shades. She has a couple of friends that have read it but I said no. This is a child with a college reading level and mom said no. She didn't know what to think. So I told her what the storyline was about..got an "eww" and he realized why I said no.

I would most likely not have a problem with it at 16 or 17 though. We talk about all the books she reads as do my 17 year old son and I. I personally have no desire to read the books, I have heard they are terrible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenesis915
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

the book was inspired by twighlight though but i think i would let her read it its not like shes going to go live t herself thats why books are here

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
See when I was a teen I never got into young adult books. I was into Jane Austin and non fiction.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

I know but it's not it containing sex and bdsm that bothers me. It's the abuse. Pick up someof the ya books. They don't have female protagonists. They are filled with relationships that either are abusive or are showing the warning signs of getting worse.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I can't believe they have it in the you g adult section, that is crazy!

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Its fiction.  I think *most* 16 year olds know how to recognize what is real and what isn't.  Just because a book has an abusive relationship in it doesn't mean that the person reading it is going to think that is acceptable, because they have been shown in real life(hopefully) that its not.  Just like a teen reading Harry Potter, hopefully, they know how to recognize what is real and what isn't.

RaeAnne.USAF
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I can see your point to. It just bothers me on a level you know? A lot of the girls I went to school with are in relationships where they fill 'Just like Bella and Edward' with all of the drama thrown in. It's just sad for me to see girls like that.

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

I agree to a point. I've read Twilight, not 50 Shades, probably never will. Liked Twilight, but girls do have way too much perception about relationships when it comes to those type of books. Then they get their hopes up too high and expect every guy to be like Jacob or Edward when in reality no guys are like that. To me it's just a book. If my daughter wanted to read it I'd probably let her. At 16 that isn't such a bad age. Like I said, I'd rather her read that then be having real sex. It's just different preferences for different people. I understand where you're coming from also, though.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured