Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Has anyone filed care to share details on how it works? How hard was it to get something after it was over?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I did a few years ago. It was pretty simple and never stopped me from anything after.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM
What all where you allowed to keep

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I did a few years ago. It was pretty simple and never stopped me from anything after.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Look for a lawyer that offers free consult. The laws are different than they use to be. My friend paid about $2,200, for everything the government required. She received new credit offers (with low limits, high interest) about 4 months after it was final. Her chapter 7 was 2 years ago.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I'm in ar one lawyer quoted me 1300. I just feel like such a failure for doing this but 5 credt cards and 8000$ debt do to a truck I purchased at 18 I know I I'm in trouble

Quoting Anonymous:

Look for a lawyer that offers free consult. The laws are different than they use to be. My friend paid about $2,200, for everything the government required. She received new credit offers (with low limits, high interest) about 4 months after it was final. Her chapter 7 was 2 years ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

We are filing soon.  We have been through an initial consultation with the lawyer that worked on my cousin's bankruptcy.  It sounds like it's going to be a lot easier than we thought.  We will be able to keep our house and vehicles.  It does not ruin your credit for as long as people say it will and because we will be reaffirming/keeping our mortgage and vehicle loan, we will be building up credit again quickly. 

She did tell us that we should hold off on filing until an actual process server shows up.  No matter what a company threatens on the phone, nothing is real until you are served papers and as long as you file immediately after they show up, the bankruptcy will stop the pending lawsuit.  Just logon to your cellphone company's site and block the collection agencies from calling you or press *60 on your home phone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I've already been sued over the truck without me even being served to show up in court the credit cards are just now in default same with hospital bills :(

Quoting Anonymous:

We are filing soon.  We have been through an initial consultation with the lawyer that worked on my cousin's bankruptcy.  It sounds like it's going to be a lot easier than we thought.  We will be able to keep our house and vehicles.  It does not ruin your credit for as long as people say it will and because we will be reaffirming/keeping our mortgage and vehicle loan, we will be building up credit again quickly. 

She did tell us that we should hold off on filing until an actual process server shows up.  No matter what a company threatens on the phone, nothing is real until you are served papers and as long as you file immediately after they show up, the bankruptcy will stop the pending lawsuit.  Just logon to your cellphone company's site and block the collection agencies from calling you or press *60 on your home phone.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM

All I wanted to keep was my car. Other than that I didn't have anything but a house and I wanted that gone :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Was hoping they may let me keep one credit card limit is only $300

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

All I wanted to keep was my car. Other than that I didn't have anything but a house and I wanted that gone :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

They may. You pick and choose, it's up to the company. I kept my car and they lowered my interest rate to 0.

Quoting Anonymous:

Was hoping they may let me keep one credit card limit is only $300

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Money sucks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)