Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Has anyone filed care to share details on how it works? How hard was it to get something after it was over?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

This may be a silly question but can filing be done individually without your spouse or affecting them?

Our situation is stupid - it's my debt that has us in a bad place, which he reminds me of every time we have a money issue.  His opinion and reaction make me feel even more ashamed and paralyzed.

Last year, he got a job because I was worried about debt & bills.  He reminded me every day he went to work that he was miserable and that he was 'selling his soul' doing something he didn't enjoy - for me.  After 5 months, I told him he could quit and start his own business.  The business has never earned more than office rent and has cost us more quite often.

Even more, we are not even behind on payments yet but I don't know how we can keep going on this way.  I've scraped our finances by for 4 years and this month I'm not sure how to pay all the bills.  The mortage will be my first late bill - ever.

The thought of asking him to get a job again to cover my debt makes me want to throw up...probably all over the divorce papers he would serve me with. So I am the one working full-time and looking for any extra income possible because I want desperately to pay back what I owe - without help from him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Money sucks

Being ignorant with money sucks.

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Yes.  DH filed a couple years ago, and I wasn't a part of it.  But at the time, we didn't have anything in both of our names, other than the lease on the apartment that we were living in.

In your situation, I would look for an actual debt counselor first.  (It's actually required that you see one before you can file for bankruptcy) 

Quoting Anonymous:

This may be a silly question but can filing be done individually without your spouse or affecting them?

Our situation is stupid - it's my debt that has us in a bad place, which he reminds me of every time we have a money issue.  His opinion and reaction make me feel even more ashamed and paralyzed.

Last year, he got a job because I was worried about debt & bills.  He reminded me every day he went to work that he was miserable and that he was 'selling his soul' doing something he didn't enjoy - for me.  After 5 months, I told him he could quit and start his own business.  The business has never earned more than office rent and has cost us more quite often.

Even more, we are not even behind on payments yet but I don't know how we can keep going on this way.  I've scraped our finances by for 4 years and this month I'm not sure how to pay all the bills.  The mortage will be my first late bill - ever.

The thought of asking him to get a job again to cover my debt makes me want to throw up...probably all over the divorce papers he would serve me with. So I am the one working full-time and looking for any extra income possible because I want desperately to pay back what I owe - without help from him.

meparty
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Yes we have.  PM me for details.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM

We were doing great and things were getting better till his father screwed him over big time over a job. Now we are left living off sonic until he finds something better. I am not able to work. So it just seems like the only option for now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Money sucks

Being ignorant with money sucks.

kayjayjess
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I don't think you will be able to put your truck in the bankruptcy, if you already have a judgment out on it. I'm not 100 percent sure though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've already been sued over the truck without me even being served to show up in court the credit cards are just now in default same with hospital bills :(

Quoting Anonymous:

We are filing soon.  We have been through an initial consultation with the lawyer that worked on my cousin's bankruptcy.  It sounds like it's going to be a lot easier than we thought.  We will be able to keep our house and vehicles.  It does not ruin your credit for as long as people say it will and because we will be reaffirming/keeping our mortgage and vehicle loan, we will be building up credit again quickly. 

She did tell us that we should hold off on filing until an actual process server shows up.  No matter what a company threatens on the phone, nothing is real until you are served papers and as long as you file immediately after they show up, the bankruptcy will stop the pending lawsuit.  Just logon to your cellphone company's site and block the collection agencies from calling you or press *60 on your home phone.

My children are the source of my strength, frustration, happiness, insanity, sanity, irritability.  They are the definition of unconditional love.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Paid $2000 to get rid of $60,000 in debt.  We kept everything...house, 4 cars, etc.  Decided to dump the house in the end to rent a bigger house for a while.  Traded in 2 cars and bought 2 new ones a few months after discharge, got 3 small credit cards to rebuild credit on then also, told we can get a mortgage loan 3 years after D/C.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

So if you can keep your car do you still have to pay what you pay on it originally?  My current payment is 444 (traded in two cars and had a lot of negative equity, dumb move).  My husband wants a divorce. We have a house, two cars, a few credit cards, and our regular bills.  

What all do they take from you?  Can they take all of my household belongings?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)