Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Processed Foods are NOT ....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

less expensive.

I make all our meals with fresh ingredients. 

Since we are moving on Sept 30th . DH and I decided, to makes things easier and be able to pack up as much as we can as soon as possible,  that we would not be doing much cooking at all. By that I mean the normal type meals we usually make.  But instead buy more frozen type things and more processed type foods. Microwavable stuff... I think you can get what I'm talking about. Things quicker to prepare. 

We were at the grocery store yesterday to get some things. Our past couple of shopping trips we haven't been buying too much because I don't want to have a bunch of food to pack or throw away. 

Let me tell you what. All those * processed foods* ended up costing much more in the long run than when I buy fresh ingredients. 

I could have gotten so much  more fresh items. Like meats , vegetables , fruits.  for  less money than was spent on all the stuff we bought yesterday.

I can't wait to get all moved and back to normal :)

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I planned out 5 weeks of menus a while back. Next week is week 4. If rice isn't on it I'm making some this weekend!

Quoting singletiredmom:

Of course!! Gotta have rice! I just made quesadillas and spanish rice for supper tonight but can't stop thinking about tomorrow nights supper. We eat a lot of rice around here. Lol

Quoting epoh:

Yes, please! Over rice?

Quoting singletiredmom:

I buy both. On the weekends I make meals with fresh fruits, vegetables and meat. During the week because I work and don't get home until about 7 pm, I make quick meals of *gasp* processed foods, unless I throw something in the crock pot. Which reminds me I need to lay something out of the freezer for the crock pot tomorrow. Beef with broccoli anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Quoting moneysaver6:

I agree with you and have been saying this on here for some time and even showing examples (using words AND pictures)...and STILL people argue with me that it can't be done.  Even though I've done it.  Where they live. 

The bottom line is that people WANT to believe that eating healthy is more expensive so that they can justify their processed diet to themselves.

theres nothing to justify for me, i buy what i like the taste of.  if its processed, or whole, doesnt matter.  balance is the key.

singletiredmom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Every time I would cook rice for my mom she would say "I don't like rice but this is really good!". After listening to this for years, one day I replied "Mom, I think it's safe to say you like rice!". Lol

I don't care for plain rice. I put things over it like sheghetti sauce, gravy, beef and broccoli or just cheese.

Quoting gemikris82:

omg my ss lovvvves rice, wish i liked it lol

Quoting singletiredmom:

Of course!! Gotta have rice! I just made quesadillas and spanish rice for supper tonight but can't stop thinking about tomorrow nights supper. We eat a lot of rice around here. Lol

Quoting epoh:

Yes, please! Over rice?

Quoting singletiredmom:

I buy both. On the weekends I make meals with fresh fruits, vegetables and meat. During the week because I work and don't get home until about 7 pm, I make quick meals of *gasp* processed foods, unless I throw something in the crock pot. Which reminds me I need to lay something out of the freezer for the crock pot tomorrow. Beef with broccoli anyone?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Well this food stamp mom doesnt have time to cook. I work two jobs 7 days a week and a full class load. a total of 14+ hours a day or more.

Quoting Billiebeth:

The lazy food stamp moms will just scream at you they don't have time to buy fresh or whole foods and they can't cook.
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

my problem is meal ideas... so what kind of meals do you make? i would love to make more from scratch and less processed.

Kenre
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I can and 'process' my own meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

i got food poisoning off of chinese food once, it was chick with broccoli and rice and i havent eaten rice, since. or chinese food either lol.  i just cant do it. and that was over 4 years ago

Quoting singletiredmom:

Every time I would cook rice for my mom she would say "I don't like rice but this is really good!". After listening to this for years, one day I replied "Mom, I think it's safe to say you like rice!". Lol

I don't care for plain rice. I put things over it like sheghetti sauce, gravy, beef and broccoli or just cheese.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting singletiredmom:

Quoting epoh:

Yes, please! Over rice?

Quoting singletiredmom:

AnjalisMommy07
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Then they need to work I that budget and now blow all their money at once.

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

But how long will that fresh food last? Sure we know we will have money to buy fresh produce weekly or biweekly but if they are extremely tight on money, who knows if they will have enough for next week? They need to stock up on the processed junk while they still have the money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singletiredmom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Yea, that would do it for me too!!! I'm sorry it ruined Chinese food and rice for you. They are my favorite foods.

Quoting gemikris82:

i got food poisoning off of chinese food once, it was chick with broccoli and rice and i havent eaten rice, since. or chinese food either lol.  i just cant do it. and that was over 4 years ago

Quoting singletiredmom:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting singletiredmom:

Quoting epoh:

Yes, please! Over rice?

Quoting singletiredmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Anyone have any good websites or pointers to direct me in the right direction on how to avoid processed food?! OP?! I'm really wanting to change my lifestyle and I'm damn near clueless.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)