Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Denied lunch for outstanding bill.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was reading that an autistic boy was denied lunch due to the fact his parents did not pay the bill. They think it was wrong for him not to be served and someone should have lent them the money.

I guess I'm mean but I'm with the school on this.

ETA: He did get a muffin
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Replies (331-340):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Our schools are not allowed to do that. They are required to give the, a sandwich and some other things. It is just not the normal hot lunch. That's awful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Most @f the garbage posted here has no GOOGLE link. Lol

Quoting MedicMommy2:

I googled it to get the whole story. I never mentioned the op, I was giving the rest of the story to anyone who wanted it. Not my fault the OP neglected to provide a link, I assumed once I posted those who wanted to know more know how to google.

Quoting Anonymous:

I never mentioned the op. I said bump for those who are challenged in the reading comprehension department .Which was a general dig at those who can't fucking read! Kinda like you. Assuming I was referring to the op. when I never mentioned the fucking op.
From what I've observed, more than half of you can't read a damn post to save your lives. Get it now, sparky?

Quoting Anonymous:

So you cannot point out where in the OP this is mentioned, yet expect all commenters in this post to know the details? Is that correct? Lol
Quoting Anonymous:

0.o lord you are a special one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do point out where any of this is mentioned in the OP. Oh I fail to see a link in the OP as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Going to bump this for those who are challenged in the comprehension department.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Ok, So I actually went and read the story. The school FAILED to notify the parents of the issue, the principal appoligized, the school NEVER called the parents to tell them and did not call them the day it happened. So all of those jumping to imply they are crappy parents google the actual story first. The child is 5, his first year of school and his parents were confused by how the lunch system worked. Honest mistake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM
One muffin will tide me over ALL DAY. I don't see an issue myself. Parents neglect lunch accounts sometimes. Hopefully they pay now.
PinkieRed
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I don't get why this made the news in the first place. The school made a mistake in not notifying the parents that their kid's lunch account was in arrears. The parents were also wrong for not keeping an eye on the lunch account. The kid missed ONE lunch. It's over and done with, presumably the problem is fixed now, and it won't happen again.

Plus, if the kid is in kindergarten, did he have a snack in class before or after lunch? Both of my kids had snack time in kindergarten. Didn't he eat breakfast before school? And I'm sure he ate when he got home. Unless he had a medical condition requiring him to eat every few hours, like diabetes, I'm sure he was OK with just a muffin, for just that ONE time.

The way people are overreacting on here, you'd think the school had kicked the kid out of the lunch program for being autistic, and he was missing out on lunch every single day.

And yes, I am a parent of a special needs kid, too. My teenage daughter attended a tiny Catholic school for special needs kids (including autism), from 6th-8th grades, that had NO hot lunch program, period. Kids brought a lunch from home every single day, or they didn't eat. If they forgot their lunch, and a parent couldn't bring it up to the school, there were no backup lunch items from the school that they could have. Usually in that case the other kids were generous, and would share their lunches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Well in that case, I completely disagree with what the school did. That is a few days at most. How much effort could the school have even made to let the parents know in that amount of time?

Quoting Anonymous:

It is true and I cannot. Mobile also

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Can you make it clicky for mobile. I saw another reply that said it was over a balance of $8. I want to find out if that's true before I decide how I feel about this.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/143456/school_lets_autistic_boy_go

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I was reading that an autistic boy was denied lunch due to the fact his parents did not pay the bill. They think it was wrong for him not to be served and someone should have lent them the money. I guess I'm mean but I'm with the school on this.

ETA: He did get a muffin

Can you post the link to this story please.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I had a feeling it was something like this.

Plus, I was astonished how many people were calling these parents deadbeats and losers. Where I live, school started on September 4th, meaning there have only been 8 school days so far. And yet everybody acts like this had to have been going on for a ridiculous amount of time.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Ok, So I actually went and read the story. The school FAILED to notify the parents of the issue, the principal appoligized, the school NEVER called the parents to tell them and did not call them the day it happened. So all of those jumping to imply they are crappy parents google the actual story first. The child is 5, his first year of school and his parents were confused by how the lunch system worked. Honest mistake.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Some of us actually deal with parents who ignore lunch accounts for weeks to months. Imo those types are deadbeats.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Plus, I was astonished how many people were calling these parents deadbeats and losers. Where I live, school started on September 4th, meaning there have only been 8 school days so far. And yet everybody acts like this had to have been going on for a ridiculous amount of time.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

PinkieRed
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM
My daughter started school August 20th. My son started August 23rd. Some schools go back in late July/early August. Not every school starts after Labor Day.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Yeah, the school was right. Why should they continue to serve someone who owes them money?

HouseMa
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Of course they expect him to lend him money...because they are precious snowflakes and can't be expected to keep track of their kid's lunch account.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)