Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what is your feelings about breastfeeding mothers who drink alcohol?

Posted by   + Show Post

There was a girl on my facebook that posted a picture of the breastmilk alcohol testing strips and was like "OMG REALLY?". While I think that no one should ever use those strips I put in my two cents about how a neighbor had used them and you would be suprised how much alcohol one had to consume before it would show up on the strip, and if I am going to drink more than one or two glasses of wine or beer, or more than one mixed drink I won't breastfeed for a while, (use stored up milk or formula since I suppliment anyways due to lack of supply). She said that she doesn't think that any one who is breastfeeding has any business drinking alcohol, and that providing for their child should be first on their minds. I however, am a 22 year old female, who has the legal right to drink alcohol, and don't even do it often, I have had more than two drinks once since having my baby, and see no problem with it, seeing as she was at my mothers house and hubby and I were having an "alone night". What is your stance on it?

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

There is a great article that tells how alcohol affects bf'ing! I learned a lot from reading it even though I don't drink whether I am bf'ing or not.  www.babycenter.com/0_alcohol-and-nursing-moms_3547.bc

Armadillo79
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

You drink a "few shots AND a drink or 2"? That is kind of alot or I am reading it wrong??? Not bashing, just simply curious..

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well I am a breastfeeding mom and on occasion I do drink I breastfeed first and then know I am good for 3-4hrs before he will need to feed again so I can have a few shots and a drink or two and be good before he needs to feed again. 

I was pregnant for 40wks and never drank once and then I am supposed to go another year without a drink because I am nursing.  Ya right.  I am an adult and per my OB you can continue to nurse and drink as long as you are still in a condition after drinking to still drive a car. 

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Why would I breast feed a mom while she was drinking alcohol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CodenameDuchess
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Lol! I have a great picture of me nursing my 7 month old with a glass of wine in one hand.

Seriously, people are so ignorant and misinformed about breastfeeding. You would have to be belligerently drunk before even a remote amount of alcohol would be present in breastmilk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not one for getting polluted every weekend (breastfeeding or not), but one alcoholic drink every now and then is fine.

lol, I'm a 30yr old (almost 31- on Monday!!) who enjoyed a mixed drink last Saturday while DH and I went on a lunch date. Can't remember the last time I drank. lol. I've either been pregnant or breastfeeding for the past 4yrs, so my alcohol consumption is EXTREMELY limited. lol. Let me tell you- that was one damn good strawberry margarita. :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a great article that tells how alcohol affects bf'ing! I learned a lot from reading it even though I don't drink whether I am bf'ing or not.  www.babycenter.com/0_alcohol-and-nursing-moms_3547.bc

This is a better article from a lactation consultant.

Thibmom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM
I could really go for a glass of wine right now, but I'm pregnant. I'll just have to wait until March when the baby is born...and I plan on breast feeding. When I'm in doubt, I'll pump and dump. But I would have a glass right after breast feeding my daughter. Then by the time her next feeding came around, I was good to go. Usually, I'd wait until her last feeding. She slept through the night so by the time morning came, 1 glass of wine was out of my system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

When i was pumping for my son, if i had a small drink i would get a lot more milk.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Not at the same time.  I only first off drink every few months and usually I will only have a few shots and a drink or two (usually only a drink) after my son has gone to bed for the evening and since he sleeps 10hrs I know I am good.  So that would be over a period of many hours. 

If it is before his nap during the day I will only ever have a shot or a drink. 

Quoting Armadillo79:

You drink a "few shots AND a drink or 2"? That is kind of alot or I am reading it wrong??? Not bashing, just simply curious..

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well I am a breastfeeding mom and on occasion I do drink I breastfeed first and then know I am good for 3-4hrs before he will need to feed again so I can have a few shots and a drink or two and be good before he needs to feed again. 

I was pregnant for 40wks and never drank once and then I am supposed to go another year without a drink because I am nursing.  Ya right.  I am an adult and per my OB you can continue to nurse and drink as long as you are still in a condition after drinking to still drive a car. 

Charliesmommy11
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Lactation consultant told me if you don't feel the effect of the drink anymore your good to go. Also her equation was something
Like one drink takes two hours to be 100% out of your system, two drinks takes 4 hours so on and so forth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN