Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh my! A second grader put a teacher in the hospital!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 52 Replies

My mother works at a school, she was telling me about how this second grader, who has always had behavioral issues, actually broke a teachers nose after throwing a chair at her, then in the later situation trying to contain this child he bruised 2 ribs on the special education teacher. He got suspened for 1 day. I guess long enough for the teachers to get checked out by the doctor before dealing with him again. I couldn't believe the craziness of it all! I've worked in schools and seen some gnarly behavior but only a 1 day suspension??? What if it was a classmate with a busted nose, and another classmate with bruised ribs? Would suspension even be an option? 

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

WOW! That kid needs some serious help.  I wouldn't want him back in my class if I were the teacher.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

the thing is they can't really send him to another school to deal with his behaviors, in general he is a really bright little guy, he just has "rages", so they suspend him for a day and hope for the best. He sees the special education teacher every day, and if he's having a normal bad day he is placed in alc (alternative learing center). This is his second major breakdown this year, the first time he pushed over the 64 year old reading teacher and bolted out into the playground. 

Quoting bluemountain75:

WOW! That kid needs some serious help.  I wouldn't want him back in my class if I were the teacher.

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Good grief.  What are the parents doing about all of this?

Quoting Irenesmommy:

the thing is they can't really send him to another school to deal with his behaviors, in general he is a really bright little guy, he just has "rages", so they suspend him for a day and hope for the best. He sees the special education teacher every day, and if he's having a normal bad day he is placed in alc (alternative learing center). This is his second major breakdown this year, the first time he pushed over the 64 year old reading teacher and bolted out into the playground. 

Quoting bluemountain75:

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

thats the other issue, I asked my mother the same thing, either none of their numbers on file are current or working numbers, or if they do happen to get a hold of his she will schedule a meeting and just not show up. It really leaves everyone's hands tied. I really would fear my own child's saftey in a class with this child. However the other parents aren't allowed to know about his behavior because is violated privacy laws, so parents are sending their kids into a classroom where they could be injured. that scares me.

Quoting bluemountain75:

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, no ... there are a lot of other things wrong with this story, but the other parents know.  Kids talk when things like this happen in a school classroom.  And when kids talk, parents talk.  And show up at school.  And on and on

Quoting Irenesmommy:

thats the other issue, I asked my mother the same thing, either none of their numbers on file are current or working numbers, or if they do happen to get a hold of his she will schedule a meeting and just not show up. It really leaves everyone's hands tied. I really would fear my own child's saftey in a class with this child. However the other parents aren't allowed to know about his behavior because is violated privacy laws, so parents are sending their kids into a classroom where they could be injured. that scares me.

Quoting bluemountain75:

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I was an aide in a special ed classroom and I had a student that heatbutted me and dislocated my jaw.  Kinda my fault, I wasn't restraining him properly, but he was a strong kiddo it took two teachers to keep him from hurting himself.

paknari
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Some kids can not function in a low maintenance environment. The parents should be trying to find somewhere that child can thrive because he will only get worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM

did I say it happened in the classroom? no. It happened when the teacher was taking him to the alc room, in that room is where he tossed the chair that broke her nose, that is when the special education teacher was called in to restrain him. Quit trying to look for lies when there are none.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, no ... there are a lot of other things wrong with this story, but the other parents know.  Kids talk when things like this happen in a school classroom.  And when kids talk, parents talk.  And show up at school.  And on and on

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

There are several. 

Quoting Irenesmommy:

did I say it happened in the classroom? no. It happened when the teacher was taking him to the alc room, in that room is where he tossed the chair that broke her nose, that is when the special education teacher was called in to restrain him. Quit trying to look for lies when there are none.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

Quoting Irenesmommy:

Quoting bluemountain75:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The school wouldn't be leaving him in that low maintenance environment following an incident of this magnitude.  They would be in fear of lawsuits. 

Quoting paknari:

Some kids can not function in a low maintenance environment. The parents should be trying to find somewhere that child can thrive because he will only get worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN