Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have THAT preschool kid. Oh dear.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

Of course it was my kid. In her first 5 days of Lower-K she has...

Managed to stump the teachers (who all have degrees, many of them Masters degrees) by asking if space and time go on forever or if they have a beginning and end point. Among other questions that they can't answer and have admitted to me they go home and google.

Both impressed and irritated the teachers by already knowing how to read and write. They're trying to teach the letters to these kids and she's bored, so she keeps asking them for books and stuff to read. I'm trying to get her to understand, but she's never been in a classroom/collective environment before and doesn't understnad why she can't move at her own pace like she does at home.

Instigated other children to lock bathroom doors then crawl out under the stalls (WHY?!?!).

Gotten herself in a unique position with the teachers of being both dreaded and favored, for her constant questioning and... erm... "precocious" nature.

Unwittingly exposed other children to the concept of sex, by pointing out the class pets (hamsters, MALE hamsters too!) having a round of live Discovery Channel in their cage.

Warranted a meeting with her teachers and me about where she really belongs in the school.

And gotten herself sent to the first grade classroom with her cousin for half the day. She's going to start in the Lower K room and then move to first grade during the second half of the day. I'm not sure whether it was because she exhausted her teachers in LK or because they genuinely think she'd be happier there where at least they read and are writing a little bit.

UPDATE: She had her first half day in 1st grade yesterday, and it went  well. The teacher said she got on well with the other kids socially, and is academically ready. We're finishing out the week on the half-day, and if the 1st grade teacher is still giving positive evaluations of her, she'll go there full time starting next Mon. She's still loving school and liked it better yesterday than all last week, since they're doing stuff somewhat more on her level, and the teacher is more willing to give her alternate work, whereas the LK room just couldn't.

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Sounds like a brat.
-Ruby-
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The bathroom thing was bratty, I don't get why she did that, but the rest of it I don't see as bratty at all. She's had all of 5 days' classroom experience and nothing else has been done with the intent of making trouble or being difficult at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like a brat.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe home school for kindergarten? You definitely don't want her bored she may develop a dislike for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM
You should be proud! Ds got in trouble everyday for the first week of kinder because he didn't understand why he had to practice things he already knew how to do. How old she? Is lower-k what you call pre-k or is it kindergarten?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSusieQ045
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Yikes... If she is that far advanced she is bored!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Bump
-Ruby-
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I was going to homeschool, I was and am against the whole school thing, LOL. But I've been put in a bind with a move and my niece joining our family, and DD wanted to go to school. She really does like it, she just doesn't get why she can't read ahead or read on her own, and I think going to the 1st grade half days will reduce the boredom by a lot. She DOES really enjoy it and wants to be good for her teachers, so I'm not yanking her just yet.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Maybe home school for kindergarten? You definitely don't want her bored she may develop a dislike for school.

cherrywaves21
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Hahaha!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like a brat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
3 moms liked this

She sounds like she's more advanced then her peers/age group and would benefit in spending time with the 1st graders.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe the school can test her she may be ready for 1st grade full time.

Quoting -Ruby-:

I was going to homeschool, I was and am against the whole school thing, LOL. But I've been put in a bind with a move and my niece joining our family, and DD wanted to go to school. She really does like it, she just doesn't get why she can't read ahead or read on her own, and I think going to the 1st grade half days will reduce the boredom by a lot. She DOES really enjoy it and wants to be good for her teachers, so I'm not yanking her just yet.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured