Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My cat has a huge lump :( *UPDATE*

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM
  • 30 Replies
So a couple of nights ago when I let my cat in I noticed she was limping pretty badly. I couldn't even touch the leg without her flipping out on me. I have made a point to keep her inside until I know she's okay, well I let her out today because I'd seen a good improvement and figured she'd like some fresh air after being cooped up for days. I had her come back in about an hour ago and now I've noticed a considerably large lump on her left leg closer to the top, it's between her paw and shoulder blade. It's so painful to the touch and I feel so bad for her :( I've had her for almost 4 years and consider her my kid if you will. We called the vet but it's going to cost an arm and a leg that I don't have right now! The vet said it sounds like an absess from fighting and being bitten. (Long story short, I rescued another cat and it fights with my cat ALL the time. Needless to say, that cat is gone to a new home now) He also said that it would need to be drained 0.o I can't take her to have it done but I guess what I'm wondering is if there is anyone here who knows how I can perform this procedure at home without hurting my baby too much! I gave her a DROP of children's tylenol for the pain and she's resting now but Idk what I'd ever do if something happened to her :( I just want to cry seeing her like this! Please help. *I have also checked into the possibility of Wolf Worms but from what the vet said it sounds more like what I've already described. ****Okay, so I've been putting a heating pad on my cat's leg for the past few days as recommended by some of you ladies, and I'm happy to say that the absess is finally draining and she's got a lot of pressure and relief. I thought I was about to have to drain it myself but it did it on its own thankfully. So she's doing a lot better now and the cat that got her this way is suffering from the same thing from what I'm told. I'm just so happy my little baby is getting better :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LectioDivina
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Pain is good... (I dunno, for humans anyways) if it hurts to touch it usually means it's not cancer and it's some sort of build up of fluid or a begin tumor

Rachelbugsmama
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a vet tech. DO NOT give Tylenol to a cat, it is TOXIC!!!! They cannot process it the same way that humans do.

As for the lump, sounds like it probably is an abscess. If you absolutely can't get into a vet, put a warm compress on it a few times a day. It should break open eventually. Warning though, abscesses can make a cat feel like crap for a while. Once it breaks open, you can clean it with some hydrogen peroxide. BUT it would really be preferable if you can at all get into a vet - they do much better with antibiotics. Can you see if your vet would work with you for payment arrangements or can you apply for Care Credit?

maryjxo1988
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM
The tylenol is really helping her, before I gave it to her she couldn't even sit still from the pain. Now she's sleeping. It's a battle trying to keep my 18 month old from hitting her and my very hyper active dog from jumping on her though =/ I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Pain is good... (I dunno, for humans anyways) if it hurts to touch it usually means it's not cancer and it's some sort of build up of fluid or a begin tumor

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM
If you can't afford to take an animal to the vet then you can't afford a pet.

Take your cat to the vet. Don't try to torture it at home. An absess is not something you want to mess around with.

Take the cat in and pay what you can. Pay the rest as you can too. The vet won't turn you away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM

An abcess will eventually open on it's own, but I warn you, if you are alarmed with the swelling, the mess from the open abcess is gonna be more alarming to you,  Abcesses are pretty common in cats, so the vet bill shouldn't be too horrible, I would just go ahead & take her in, they will knock her out, cut open the abcess at the top & bottom, drain it & put in a drain tube that you can flush daily for about 3 or 4 days.  She will also get antibiotics.  ON the 4th day they will pull the drains & allow it finish healing, she could be completely well & pain free in about a week.  Scenerio if you don't take her, she will develop a high fever & feel awful, the abcess will probably take another few days to a week to open on it's own, then take as much as 2 weeks to heal.  I see it this way, pain for a week, or pain for 3 weeks, if you really don't want her to be suffering, take her to the vet.  They often accept payments.  Good luck.  *I used to be a vet tech, so know what I am talking about.*

I SECOND NOT GIVING HER TYLENOL! DO NOT EVER GIVE YOUR CAT HUMAN DRUGS WITHOUT CONSULTING THE VET!
LectioDivina
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Is there a way to get her to the vet today?

I read the poster's reply above and googled it and I guess tylenol can be pretty fatal to cats

Quoting maryjxo1988:

The tylenol is really helping her, before I gave it to her she couldn't even sit still from the pain. Now she's sleeping. It's a battle trying to keep my 18 month old from hitting her and my very hyper active dog from jumping on her though =/ I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

Quoting LectioDivina:

ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM
If it's just an abscess it wont cost an a and a leg. We have had to take cats to the vet for abscesses in the past. I would take her to the vet, especially if she's like a baby to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dilateyourmind
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Research what people antibiotics cats can take, to get rid of the abscess.

maryjxo1988
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM
I already gave her a small drop, no bigger than the end of my finger. I wish I had known that before I did it though. The veterinarian that I talked to didn't specify anything like that to me =/ Would it be okay to lay her on a heating pad on that side? And also, do I have anything to look for now that I did give her the tylenol. It was generic children't tylenol.

Quoting Rachelbugsmama:

I am a vet tech. DO NOT give Tylenol to a cat, it is TOXIC!!!! They cannot process it the same way that humans do.

As for the lump, sounds like it probably is an abscess. If you absolutely can't get into a vet, put a warm compress on it a few times a day. It should break open eventually. Warning though, abscesses can make a cat feel like crap for a while. Once it breaks open, you can clean it with some hydrogen peroxide.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Did you, by any chance, read my post in NC a few days ago? I rescued a cat that the EXACT same problem. She was in alot of pain and despite the fact that I have/had no money to take her to the vet, I did it anyways because I could not bare the thought of her suffering. I called my vet and asked if I would be able to set up a payment plan, and they said yes. After the examination, I was very surprised that it didn't cost nearly as much as I thought it would. It ended up being exactly $70. However, I explained the situation (I rescued her and she was injured) and they took a few things off my bill. Honestly, it should not cost that much if you get on a payment plan. PLEASE get the cat some help., don't let him/her continue to suffer. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)