Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has Anyone Ever Had To Get Tubes Put In Their Kids Ears?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 42 Replies

DS is 3 and has some fluid build up in his ears that doesn't seem to be going away on it's on.

We will go early next month to a developmental pediatrician who is also a practicing pediatrician so she can look in his ears to see if any buildup is still there. Either way whether it's there or not we will still go to an ENT the end of next month. If it is still there they will need to put tubes in his ears to drain it. It was still there the end of August and it had been there for a few weeks so idk if it will go away on it's own or not.

What was the procedure like? How long, etc? Anything I should be aware of before or after?

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

bump.

MandiK
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I had them as a kid, but obviously don't remember it. I don't think it's nearly as common as it used to be. Good luck! Wish I had more info for you.

starry_dreamer
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
My brother had them. I remember he came home the same day and acted fine. They eventually fell out on their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonsters88
by Carolina Sky on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM
All 3 of my kids have had them. The procedure is like 30mins tops. They use a little gas anesthesia and before you even get comfortable in the waiting room they are calling you back because they are done. They give you antibiotic drops to use after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM
My dd needed them. surgery isn't long it broke my heart that they wouldn't let me hold her while she was put to sleep so she freaked and then the damn nurse wouldn't give her to me when she was waking up she was so scared . I will never do I again:(
mom2mygirls0208
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

my kids no myself yes 

it is usually an outpatient procedure done with a general anesthetic

depending on how much fluid he has it can take 15-30 minutes

afterwards make sure the ear canal stays dry  and teach him to blow his nose gently too much force will dislodge the tubes

what kind of tubes are the putting in I had both the bobbin tube ( they look like a bobbin for a sewing machince) and the t-tubes 

any more question feel free to pm me

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I'm not sure. I won't know for sure if he needs them till the end of next month. I will ask then.

Quoting mom2mygirls0208:

my kids no myself yes 

it is usually an outpatient procedure done with a general anesthetic

depending on how much fluid he has it can take 15-30 minutes

afterwards make sure the ear canal stays dry  and teach him to blow his nose gently too much force will dislodge the tubes

what kind of tubes are the putting in I had both the bobbin tube ( they look like a bobbin for a sewing machince) and the t-tubes 

any more question feel free to pm me

MommaRoseT
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Both my boys did and so did my husband and I when we were little. The procedure is super fast, only like 30 minutes. It helped tremendously with all of us! It was well worth it!

The only thing negative that happened was my youngest did puke his guts out from the anesthesia after the procedure was done. After that though he felt fine.

If he needs them, then it is really a lot less trouble for him to have the procedure instead of having recurring ear infections all the time IMO.

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Yes my dd had them put in at 9 months. She had constant ear infections, not anymore!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I had them and DS got them when he was almost 3.

With DS we got to the surgical office about 7:00am filled out a stack of paper.
They took him back and gave him the meds to knock him out.
We left the room and they went over post operation care.
Then we went to sit in the waiting room. No sooner had I open a magazine. They came back out and said he's done. It took less then 10 minutes. He woke up and we went home. We were home by 9.
He was kinda sleeping for a couple hours and then he was fine.

He'll have to have drops for a few days.
After you have to try to keep there ears dry. I brought a headband made by speedo for when he went swimming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)