Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has Anyone Ever Had To Get Tubes Put In Their Kids Ears?

DS is 3 and has some fluid build up in his ears that doesn't seem to be going away on it's on.

We will go early next month to a developmental pediatrician who is also a practicing pediatrician so she can look in his ears to see if any buildup is still there. Either way whether it's there or not we will still go to an ENT the end of next month. If it is still there they will need to put tubes in his ears to drain it. It was still there the end of August and it had been there for a few weeks so idk if it will go away on it's own or not.

What was the procedure like? How long, etc? Anything I should be aware of before or after?

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

He does have a lot of problems with his speech and he doesn't seem to comprehend things. Like I can read him a book 1,000 times and each time I will tell him the girl has blue eyes. But if I ask what color the girl's eyes are he won't know. I don't know if that is related to hearing or not.

Quoting MommaRoseT:

How interesting.  I had no idea they would do it just for fluid without the infections. I would be interested to find out what kind of problems the fluid could cause (other than ear infections since that isn't a problem with him). Do you think it affects his hearing or anything?

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I had them when I was little.
My son's eye doctor wants to put a tube in his tear duct :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaRoseT
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Sounds like it possibly could be. We didn't find out that my nephew had hearing problems until he was 3. Maybe ear tubes can help with some of those other problems too then. Definitely talk to the ENT about it all!

Good luck!

Quoting carterscutie85:

He does have a lot of problems with his speech and he doesn't seem to comprehend things. Like I can read him a book 1,000 times and each time I will tell him the girl has blue eyes. But if I ask what color the girl's eyes are he won't know. I don't know if that is related to hearing or not.

Quoting MommaRoseT:

How interesting.  I had no idea they would do it just for fluid without the infections. I would be interested to find out what kind of problems the fluid could cause (other than ear infections since that isn't a problem with him). Do you think it affects his hearing or anything?

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

DS went in for adenoids and tonsils out and came back out of surgery with tubes.

jacc2007
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I haven't had to do this with my daughter and hopefully she won't have any issues to where she needs it, but when I was about 5 years old I had to have tubes put in my ears. I don't remember being in pain afterwards even though I had this procedure and a tonsillectomy done at the same time. The only negative thing I remember was waking up and wanting my mommy, then being out of school for a few days. Other than that it was really positive. Before that I had ear infections constantly, the way my mom puts it I "lived on antibiotics", but I haven't had any ear infections since having these done.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Have you taken him to a chiropractor?

We have never dealt with ear infections, fluid etc. but I have several friends (and have heard stories from a lot of Cafemoms) who have avoided the surgery by seeing a chiropractor. It's non invasive, and very effective.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Never thought about that. Our insurance doesn't cover chiropractor visits though.

Quoting Randi02:

Have you taken him to a chiropractor?

We have never dealt with ear infections, fluid etc. but I have several friends (and have heard stories from a lot of Cafemoms) who have avoided the surgery by seeing a chiropractor. It's non invasive, and very effective.

msjoecool
by Crissy on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

DD2 got tubes put in after five consecutive ear infections.  The surgery happened December 23, 2010.  She was one.  She did great with the surgery.  It was over very quickly.  She recovered very quickly too.  Thank goodness the car seat cover is machine washable because she threw up a lot on the way home.  Poor baby.  

We have another follow-up appointment with the ENT next week.

Why are you going to a developmental pediatrician instead of just to the ENT?  DD1 went to a developmental pediatrician because she has developmental issues.  She went to her ENT for ear issues. 

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM

He is on the spectrum so we were going to a developmental pedi anyways just as an appointment. But I found out she is also a practicing pediatrician with her own practice so she can check DS's ears.

Quoting msjoecool:

DD2 got tubes put in after five consecutive ear infections.  The surgery happened December 23, 2010.  She was one.  She did great with the surgery.  It was over very quickly.  She recovered very quickly too.  Thank goodness the car seat cover is machine washable because she threw up a lot on the way home.  Poor baby.  

Why are you going to a developmental pediatrician instead of just to the ENT?  DD1 went to a developmental pediatrician because she has developmental issues.  She went to her ENT for ear issues. 

msjoecool
by Crissy on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Well that certainly makes sense.  I can't stand my developmental pediatrician.  I love DD1's neuropsychologist and psychiatrist, though.

Quoting carterscutie85:

He is on the spectrum so we were going to a developmental pedi anyways just as an appointment. But I found out she is also a practicing pediatrician with her own practice so she can check DS's ears.

Quoting msjoecool:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)