Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Surprised by the lack of educated parents...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I cannot believe how many parents are going to school nowadays.

Did you not think an education was important before?

Are you going to school just so you can get the aid money to pay on your rent?

Wouldn't it have been more responsible to get an education prior to having kids?

Isn't an educated parent a better parent?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
ltmana
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I'm confused by your tactics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Since when did it become a crime to better yourself? To better yourself for your child(ren) or so you can provide a better life? There are far worse things in this world you could bitch about, but rather you choose to belittle parents who go back to school after having children. Newsflash, as a young woman who's father went back to college late in life and graduated about five years ago, I am EXTREMELY proud of my dad. He served our country, busted his ass for my brother and I because he was a single parent and finished college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Its called a career change. I was fully educated and my industry tanked. I changed careers 3 years ago and will double my income with a degree in my field. I work full time, pay out of pocket for tuition and books, and take online part time classes.

How is this affecting you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Is that because you don't have an education?  lmao

Quoting ltmana:

I'm confused by your tactics.

deepthinker
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I was in college when I started working at my job, where I have been for 16 yrs.  I quit school because it was not important to my career choice, and have done very well without it.  I make nearly 6 figures now, and have returned to school so I can get a degree in computer forensics so I can switch from my current government job to the FBI. It will only take me 18 months to finish because of some of previous credits, life experience credit, and testing out of courses.  Not having a degree does not mean that you aren't educated, it just means that you don't have a piece of paper to prove it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Girl you don't need to explain yourself to her or to anyone. Let her run her gums who gives a fuck. She's an idiot lmao

Quoting cbk_mom3:

When I graduated from high school 30 years ago, my mom was a single parent, who raised me by herself, with little help from my dad. Her health has always been bad, and so I made the decision to not go to school then, she needed me more. The reason why I decided to go back to school now has nothing to do with financial aid, or what I can "buy" with it. No, an educated parent is not a "better parent." One has nothing to do with the other. It is just the right time in my life for me to go, and I don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. You, OP are an extremely judgemental person, and truly don't have a clue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meparty
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Some employers require MORE education, even after a 4 year degree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I would rather them be working to provide for their children than going to school... 

I'm removing myself from this post because I think your trolling a bit
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to agree with you because I believe education is incredibly important, but I think everybody's situation is a little bit different.  I finished college and got a few degrees before I became pregnant (I'm currently 6 months with my first and I am 26).  Since being pregnant, I took a certification course in medical administration because it interested me and I figured, "Why not?"  I have every intention of going back to get another degree after my child is born (not right away, but maybe when s/he enters school) because I think that education is never ending.  

I heard a quote once that said, "The day you stop learning is the day you stop living," and it rings true for me because I love learning as much as I can about a variety of different subjects.  I wouldn't go back for the aid money for rent because we're doing just fine in that aspect, but I would do it just because it doesn't hurt.

My multiple degrees will not make me any better of a mother than my neighbor, who has four children and no education beyond high school.  Her kids are healthy, happy, and thriving.  She is by no means stupid (which I know you did not imply, I'm just throwing it in there), and she has more knowledge in being a mom than I do.  I will do my best, because the best is all that I can do...degree or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)