Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gestational Diabetic

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

okie dokie.. so the dr told me i was border lined gd and has me pricking my self constantly... but now i look like a damn junkie. any one on here know of a spot (besides the fingers i cant use them that hurts and i am always using my hands with school and work) that wont make me look like i have track lines. both of my arms looks horrible..... 

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM
My mom is a diabetic and was specifically told to use her finger tips. She's never pricked somewhere other than her fingers.
km1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I always used my fingers..there are meters will allow the arm. When I had to inject insulin I used my hip and stomach.

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

they told me to use either my arms or my fingers. and the fingers hurt like hell when you have to prick 6 times a day :/

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom is a diabetic and was specifically told to use her finger tips. She's never pricked somewhere other than her fingers.

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

owe i would be terrified of having to do insulin i had to give my father his shots and i saw how bad his tummy hurt him. 

Quoting km1970:

I always used my fingers..there are meters will allow the arm. When I had to inject insulin I used my hip and stomach.

mitikusmom
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I always use my fingers.  It shouldn't hurt....Try a different lancing device, setting your device on a shallower setting, or a thinner lancet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM
My mom uses the Freestyle one and only does it 3 times a day but its painless. I'm sorry :(

Quoting Meghan6391:

they told me to use either my arms or my fingers. and the fingers hurt like hell when you have to prick 6 times a day :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

we tried different settings and different ones. i bruise and my skin bubbles so its hard to use the hands the rest of the day it blows

Quoting mitikusmom:

I always use my fingers.  It shouldn't hurt....Try a different lancing device, setting your device on a shallower setting, or a thinner lancet.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Have you tried the sides of your fingers instead of the tips? It is easy and it hurts a lot less. I had GD with my last pregnancy and had to also do insulin shots several times per day. I hated the shots as I had to do it in my hips or thighs, but my fingers were fine when I pricked the sides of them.

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

km1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Quoting Meghan6391:

owe i would be terrified of having to do insulin i had to give my father his shots and i saw how bad his tummy hurt him. 

Quoting km1970:

Actually, I was surprised how little pain there was. The first time I had to inject myself was at the dr.'s office. Of course, I could barely see past my stomach:) Anyway, I didn't even know I had put the needle in...once in awhile I would feel a pinch, but not often.

matofour
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I always used my finger tips. Was GD twice, and that was the best and easiest spot for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)