Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Those That Agree With Mitt Romney's 47% Quote:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 151 Replies
12 moms liked this

Sep 18 2012

PIE CHARTS: Does Half The Country Really Not Pay Any Taxes?

Mitt Romney thinks that nearly half the country leeches off the government and would never vote for him. Well, he's got one part of that right.

Mitt Romney was almost correct that 47% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes - the exact figure for 2011 is 46.4% of American households.

But the vast majority of those households do pay a federal tax based on wages: the payroll tax, which funds Social Security and Medicare.

That means 18.1% of households pay neither the federal income tax nor the federal payroll tax. Of those, over half consist of retired, elderly Americans. And most of the rest are the working poor who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a Republican policy that gives tax breaks to low-income workers in lieu of a higher minimum wage.

And don't forget that federal taxes aren't the only kind of taxes. There are various state and local taxes, like property tax and sales tax. The notion that large swaths of Americans are unfairly mooching off government is just not true.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElitestJen
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM
21 moms liked this

Ok.  So?  That's completely irrelevant.  Payroll taxes are SS & Medicare.  So, that money is for the payee to lean on when they retire.  And unless something has changed, Romney is running for President.  That's a federal position.  Why does he care about state, local, etc. taxes?

Bottom line - 46.6% are not contributing to national defense, running of the national government/parks/salaries, federal education programs, etc.  Bet your ass they're benefitting from them, though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM
8 moms liked this

47% aren't paying because of a) not making enough money and literally struggling to survive, which should induce compassion in a reasonable American, or b) because of our inherently flawed IRS tax code which also allows the upper income earners to not pay taxes as well. That 47% is not all lazy welfare queens like Romney was stating. It also includes people like him who hide money offshore to avoid taxes and whose tax cut extensions also provide a gigantic break.

It also includes people like college students who are investing in an education to be part of the workforce.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Ok.  So?  That's completely irrelevant.  Payroll taxes are SS & Medicare.  So, that money is for the payee to lean on when they retire.  And unless something has changed, Romney is running for President.  That's a federal position.  Why does he care about state, local, etc. taxes?

Bottom line - 46.6% are not contributing to national defense, running of the national government/parks/salaries, federal education programs, etc.  Bet your ass they're benefitting from them, though.

ElitestJen
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

47% aren't paying because of a) not making enough money and literally struggling to survive, which should induce compassion in a reasonable American, or b) because of our inherently flawed IRS tax code which also allows the upper income earners to not pay taxes as well. That 47% is not all lazy welfare queens like Romney was stating. It also includes people like him who hide money offshore to avoid taxes and whose tax cut extensions also provide a gigantic break.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Here's a chart for you: 

I guess the upper classes aren't getting away with not paying taxes after all.  But, I like your Obama regurgitations.

Who Pays Income Taxes and How Much?

Tax Year 2009 

Percentiles Ranked by AGI

AGI Threshold on Percentiles

Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid

Top 1%

$343,927

Top 5%

$154,643

Top 10%

$112,124

Top 25%

$66,193

Top 50%

$32,396

Bottom 50%

<$32,396

erica7227
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM
3 moms liked this

No one said he was wrong in his figures, the debate is because his comments come across as elitist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Source? And please don't assume I am regurgitating anything.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Here's a chart for you: 

I guess the upper classes aren't getting away with not paying taxes after all.  But, I like your Obama regurgitations.

Who Pays Income Taxes and How Much?

Tax Year 2009 

Percentiles Ranked by AGI

AGI Threshold on Percentiles

Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid

Top 1%

$343,927

Top 5%

$154,643

Top 10%

$112,124

Top 25%

$66,193

Top 50%

$32,396

Bottom 50%

<$32,396

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Ironic ;)

Quoting erica7227:

No one said he was wrong in his figures, the debate is because his comments come across as elitist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM
I am so confused..
erica7227
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Oh indeed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ironic ;)

Quoting erica7227:

ElitestJen
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Source? And please don't assume I am regurgitating anything.

http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html

I didn't assume.  You regurgitated almost verbatim what Obama and Warren Buffett have been preaching for the last 3 years.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this
Um I think a lot.of people twisted what he said. I thought I heard him say and I might be wrong... "47% of people voting for Obama" not 47% of Americans... Big difference
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN