Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question. Dog attack. Picture added page 6

Posted by   + Show Post
My coworker just told me how a friend of her was having a birthday party for her daughter.
I guess the dad called and asked where one specific person was at and that person said they would be right there but had other kids with him, if that was ok.
The dad of the biryhday girl said its ok to bring the other kids.
Those kids weren't his, he was watching them for someone.
Well I guess their dog (birthday girl) isn't very good with kids so they put her in a crate.
Now while they were all singing happy birthday, one of the kids the other guy was watching (6) climbed into the crate and got mauled. The child ended up with 60 stitches.
The parents of the birthday girl are being sued for $70,000.
My question is, who's at fault? The dog was crated.
The one guy was supposed to be watching her.
I think the dog should've been crated outside and completely away from the kids, why they have a biting dog in the first place I don't understand either. The dog was a known biter.

my coworker said the reason the owner is being sued is because it happened in their home, with their dog.

Added picture page 6
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Replies (331-340):
LadyBug1990
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is someone always to blame? What happened to accidents? Why is someone always getting sued?

When I was 5 I was riding my bike on the sidewalk to my friends house down the street, there was a dog that belonged to a couple that had no children, I rode by and the dog's leash reached the sidewalk (which is illegal) and he tore up my right thigh. His owners ran to me and asked if I was alright, my parents came running over, filed a report but did NOT sue anyone!

The owners knew the dog was territorial, they tied him to a leash that was too long, they admitted to being completely at fault but my parents refused to press charges. They were just happy I was okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Wow, outch! :/

Quoting LadyBug1990:

Why is someone always to blame? What happened to accidents? Why is someone always getting sued?

When I was 5 I was riding my bike on the sidewalk to my friends house down the street, there was a dog that belonged to a couple that had no children, I rode by and the dog's leash reached the sidewalk (which is illegal) and he tore up my right thigh. His owners ran to me and asked if I was alright, my parents came running over, filed a report but did NOT sue anyone!

The owners knew the dog was territorial, they tied him to a leash that was too long, they admitted to being completely at fault but my parents refused to press charges. They were just happy I was okay!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM
My son has actually been bit pretty good by one of those rats. It wasn't even provoked, so yes one of those rats can do a number on a child too. If it weren't illegal I'd have punted that little rat to the moon.
Quoting Anonymous:

If my chihuahua ever mauls someone foot, I will take care of the bill, pain and suffering, missed work, etc. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

To be fair ANY dog can do that.

Quoting MockingJay:

The dog owner. If you own a dog who can do that, you are responsible when it does. They should consider themselves lucky the kid survived. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Why weren't you supervising your child? 

Quoting MistyMoo:

My son has actually been bit pretty good by one of those rats. It wasn't even provoked, so yes one of those rats can do a number on a child too. If it weren't illegal I'd have punted that little rat to the moon.
Quoting Anonymous:

If my chihuahua ever mauls someone foot, I will take care of the bill, pain and suffering, missed work, etc. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting MockingJay:

The dog owner. If you own a dog who can do that, you are responsible when it does. They should consider themselves lucky the kid survived. 

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I was. He was right beside me. Unfortunately you can't protect your child from everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting MockingJay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Did you consider they dog owner responsible? 

I have had two, both of whom came to me as rescues, and were rehomed. Neither was a nipper at all, although pretty yappy, which is why I would not want one myself. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

I was. He was right beside me. Unfortunately you can't protect your child from everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting MockingJay:

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Yes, we had been around this dog before. And being as young as he was I did t let him play with the dog. They never had any interaction before then and the dog had always been good from what I saw.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have had two, both of whom came to me as rescues, and were rehomed. Neither was a nipper at all, although pretty yappy, which is why I would not want one myself. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting MockingJay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Did he need to get medical attention, and if he had, would you have felt responsible, or expected the dog owners to be responsible? 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Yes, we had been around this dog before. And being as young as he was I did t let him play with the dog. They never had any interaction before then and the dog had always been good from what I saw.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MistyMoo:

Quoting MockingJay:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Everyone is to blame. If an animal is a known biter and someone is attacked, the animal is LUCKY to NOT be put down that day by animal control. The child is at fault for climbing into a crate with a strange dog, the man who was her guardian at the time for letting her out of his sight and the owners for not removing the animal from the property knowing this thing is a biter and that they were having a party. SMH.
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM
I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

Everyone is to blame. If an animal is a known biter and someone is attacked, the animal is LUCKY to NOT be put down that day by animal control. The child is at fault for climbing into a crate with a strange dog, the man who was her guardian at the time for letting her out of his sight and the owners for not removing the animal from the property knowing this thing is a biter and that they were having a party. SMH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured