Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you abort?? *(GRAPHIC)*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would your abort if you knew your unborn would be born with this?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Not sure..

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 905

View Results

Would you abort this baby?

Its a birth defect, and most babie born with die with 2 hours, or not even make it. Its rare for them to live loger than 2 days.

Facts about Anencephaly

Pronounced an-en-sef-uh-lee

Anencephaly is a serious birth defect in which a baby is born without parts of the brain and skull. It is a type of neural tube defect (NTD). These are birth defects that happen during the first month of pregnancy, usually before a woman knows she is pregnant. As the neural tube forms and closes, it helps form the baby’s brain and skull (upper part of the neural tube), spinal cord, and back bones (lower part of the neural tube).

Anencephaly happens if the upper part of the neural tube does not close all the way. This often results in a baby being born without the front part of the brain (forebrain) and the thinking and coordinating part of the brain (cerebrum). The remaining parts of the brain are often not covered by bone or skin.

Unfortunately, almost all babies born with anencephaly will die shortly after birth. CDC estimates that each year, about 1 in every 4,859 babies in the United States will be born with anencephaly.1

Did You Know?

Women can take steps before and during pregnancy to reduce the risk of having a baby born with birth defects. Such steps include taking a daily multivitamin with folic acid (400 micrograms), not smoking, and not drinking alcohol during pregnancy.

Learn more about how to prevent birth defects »

Causes and Risk Factors

Like many families affected by birth defects, CDC wants to find out what causes them. Research gives us important clues about things that might raise or lower the risk of having a baby affected by birth defects, such as anencephaly. Those clues help us develop sound public health policies for prevention.

CDC works with many other researchers to study risk factors that can increase the chance of having a baby affected by anencephaly. Scientists believe that many factors such as genes, behaviors, and things in the environment are involved. CDC researchers have reported important findings about some factors that affect the risk for anencephaly:

• Low intake of folic acid before getting pregnant and in early pregnancy increases the risk of having a pregnancy affected by neural tube defects, including anencephaly.2

• There has been a 27% decline in pregnancies affected by neural tube defects (spina bifida and anencephaly) since the United States began fortifying enriched grains with folic acid.2

• Babies born to Hispanic mothers are at an increased risk for anencephaly.3 Reasons for the increased risk among Hispanic mothers are not well understood.

CDC continues to study birth defects like anencephaly and how to prevent them. If you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, talk with your doctor about ways to increase your chance of having a healthy baby.

Diagnosis

Anencephaly can be diagnosed during pregnancy or after the baby is born.

During Pregnancy

During pregnancy, there are screening tests (prenatal tests) to check for birth defects and other conditions. Anencephaly would result in an abnormal result on a blood or serum screening test or it might be seen during an ultrasound (which creates pictures of the body).

After the Baby is Born

In some cases, anencephaly might not be diagnosed until after the baby is born. Anencephaly is immediately seen at birth.

Treatments

There is no known cure or standard treatment for anencephaly. Unfortunately, almost all babies born with anencephaly will die shortly after birth.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Replies (621-629):
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

No I would continue until the baby was born. Meet the baby to give them a kiss and embrace them for a little while until I said goodbye.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. There is no point in putting yourself, your family and that baby through the motions of pregnancy with no chance at a happy outcome. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
No. I would try and make it to fullterm and then donate its organs if possible so atleast my beautiful baby could make a difference in others babies lives.
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
No. My 3rd child had something very similar, and i still kept him. He lived for only 3 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

A friend of mine carried hers to 20 weeks before she delivered a stillborn with this condition. It's truly sad. I'm not sure what I would do if it were me in terms of abortion.

Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM
A chance is a chance. Wether its two seconds or two years. It's not my call to decide wether or not a baby will live. Plus like a previous reply mentioned. It's always a good choice to donate the organs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momof3smoochies:

No. It's just not me. Every baby deserves a chance at life.

What chance would the baby have? A few minutes? A few hours?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM

A friend of mine was told that her baby did not have a brain when she was 19 weeks pregnant and that she needed to terminate the pregnancy.  She was told that if the baby was born alive she would only make it at the most a few minutes.  My friend decided that she would not terminate and if she was only meant to have the baby for 5 minutes that is what was meant to happen and she would donate the babies organs.  The baby is now 8 months old and has hydrocephalus.  She has had a cord blood infusion that has had a major positive effect on her.  She is rolling over and even responds back when you talk to her.  I am not sure what I would do personally in this situation but I know this little girl has changed my mind in so many ways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Quoting Momof3smoochies:

Organ donation is tricky with this condition. Some doctors see it as unethical because with new borns as soon as they die their organs do so very fast. So they need to get the organs before they start to die.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM

No miracle can make that baby develop a brain and top of their skull. It is a death sentence.

Quoting Lchavez08:

NO.!!! You hear of miracles every day in the world. I would give this child a chance just as much as any other child. If its not ment for the baby to live past birth then that is a decision that is being made by a hire power than I. I would die knowing I didn't give my baby a chance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured