Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the ONLY Photographer that.... s/o

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In another post, in another group some women got on her higher than thou horse and basically said that she is ticked at the world; or any one that can afford a better camera than she has. Fail. That these so called "mom-ographers" were taking all of her "business" away and that basically only real photographers go through school. Lame.

I'm a "real" photographer. I have my own business, as well as I do get hired from time to time from other bigger named photographers to help them out. I've been into photography since I was 8. I am currently finishing up school for photography. I learned Photography on film cameras.

I get a majority of my business by word of mouth. Either work from old professors, current professors, friends, friends of friends, family members, family members friends, family members friends of friends, etc. I have a ton of word of mouth business. However, I do not think I'm "too good" to stop and help someone who is new to the art figure it out. I don't think I'm "too good" to say, hey, you can get a much better photo at this setting, etc. (If asked or warrented, which seriously is asked of me like ALL the time.) I don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere. Right?

And since when did photography and art become about the materials and or tools used? Isn't photography about the skill and the eye for it? Just saying. You can have the badest and biggest camera, tri pod, lens, etc, and still basically get okay shots. I personally shoot with my Rebel t2i. I have two other canon dslr bodies. A Mark III and a 7D. I still get the same amazing shot on my t2 as I do with the Mark and the 7D. Stop blaming your equipment, and start blaming your ability. Perhaps you are in the wrong profession if the only thing that matters to you is your equipment and the fact that you are apparently a struggling artists and can not "upgrade".

Honestly I can take my Sony point and shoot camera and STILL get amazing shots like in my dslr's. The error is NOT the equipment, the error is the user. No amount of money spent on equipment will make you a better photographer.

Rules of a True Photographer: (To those who think that they are too good to be bothered to help others, or think that even "mom-ographers" are not capable of learning a few tricks of the trade..... Honestly good for these mothers learning. What harm does it do to you?)

You must KNOW your camera inside and out. How it works, how it opperates, use it in manual mode.

You must be willing to help other photographers come into their craft.

KNOW aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO and how ALL of this affects your end photo.

Practice, practice, practice! And then practice some more.

Sorry, I will get down off of my soap box. I just do not understand the thinking of some women, some "photographers" that are not willing to get off of their high horse and help newbies. How very selfish of them, and what bad PR to their clients. I have to say that a GOOD majority of my client base actually came from random people in parks, on vacations, etc asking me if I mind to take their family, couple, personal photo of them, because they noticed a dslr hanging around my neck. I always said sure. Or someone seeing on my LCD this beautiful and stunning photo, and asked how I got that photo, and I took the time to show and tell them what settings I had chose and why. I'm not saying you have to go in great detail, I'm just saying a little friendly, sure, yes, this is why, can and DOES go a LONG way.

This month I have only worked 6 days. 6 seperate clients. I have made more this month than I would in a 6 month period working a full time (40 hours a week) min wage job. Pretty impressive for only being marketed as word of mouth at the moment. Think of the potential once I start marketing my business next month with the launch of my new web page and re designed facebook fan page and blog page.

It's very poor professionalisim to NOT help another photographer. One day they can be your boss, or your colleague. Think of the bad PR you will get then.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mandy575
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

AMEN!!!! It's not just mom tho it's everyone who ownes a DSLR camera. I see it ALL the time!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

www.bellesbeausphotography.com

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe I have seen Natasha's work. If you have a link to her work, I can take a look to tell you what I think.

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Have you seen Natasha work? What do you think?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yay. Natasha is back.

I'm not Natasha. Sorry. =( I'm just another random CM mom. Who happens to be a photographer and was appauld at some other "photographers" comment to one of the top converstation posts.

Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I suck at taking photos.. still love taking them though.. lol

504bbymami
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Yup lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

If someone is actually taking their instagram photos as ligit work, then shame on them for not asking for it in stock, or in high res format. Also shame on those girls for using that in their portfolio and deciving others. However, is it YOUR PR to worry about theirs? No, sit and wait. If for whatever reason they are taking YOUR business, just wait until a few clients, take notice that they are not ligit and are terrible photographers and business women. Then snag those clients up. I'm telling you, it's ALL good. I've been able to get business that way myself, and it's sweet joy.

But the point was not about shaddy business practices. The point of the post was really stop blaming your equipment or lack of equipment and anothers ability to buy whatever they chose to buy. If you are great in your craft, then take a little bit of pride and confidence in it. People will notice. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but they will notice and you can reap the benefits of it. Plus why does it matter (Not directed towards you, just everyone in general), if they have this or that camera, lens, etc? Some people are just vain, and for whatever reason have to have the biggest, badest whatever to out shine all. My husband has a friend like that. This friend knew my husband would save up and save up for whatever it was. Once my husband got it, this friend would notice and immediately would go out and get the more expensive bigger, bader whatever it was, just to one up him. The funny thing. These items I'm talking about, my husband is 1000 times more advanced and knowledgeable with how they work, and does a MUCH better job at a cheapier item. Who looks like the dumb ass now? The one who paid more than he realized for something he doesn't know how to use? Or the one who saved his money and only got what would get him by with the best quality? Get my point?

Quoting armywife009:

I don't care, let them do what they want. I've never seen the post you are talking about, but I hate when the girls in our area advertise their instagram photos as their "portfolios". It's just a peeve of my mine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armywife009:

My only thing is, everyone wants to be a photographer now. People think "Hey a cheap camera, I can make easy money now off of crappy pictures!"

Why not let them figure out just how much work and thought actually goes into good photography, rather than not being nice or socialable to them? Those are the ones that ultimately become GOOD, faithful clients for me. So what? What's it to you? That's why you always check their portfolio work before hiring them. My husband and I always check out another photographers portfolio before asking them to photograph whatever it is we are asking for. Ie, birth of our children. If I can not do it, for whatever reason, there is only ONE other photographer I go to. I know her work, I know her work style, and I know she will give me what I want, and then some.

Seriously is it going to hurt you? Chances are they will likely give it up before they get going. Or they may end up not liking it. Hey it's a bonus for you when they sale their used equipment online or whatever else. There is a thousand and one wins here.

lalaboosh
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I'm not interested in becoming a professional photographer, but I totally agree with what you said about equipment or materials not making the artist. I actually really want to get an old school plain point and shoot camera that takes film and start using it to take artistic serial shots. I think having limited means is a great artistic challenge and only people who have no curiosity or belief in their talents would turn their noses at the idea.

tennisgal
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

that's great that you take some time to help others. i think that's one of the best ways to learn!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly my point. =) thank you for proving my point!

Those fancy buttons are not so scary once you know what they mean. =)

Quoting OxbAbIebxO:

I agree. Especially with the good equipment does not equal good photographer. I have a pretty decent camera. I'm learning how to use it, but until then it's all snap shots. And I only got it because it takes pictures faster than my point and shoot digital camera. When my son was a baby I had to be able to snap those smiles quickly and the delay on my point and shoot didn't allow it lol. After a year or so of having my camera I figured I might as well learn what all those fancy buttons do lmao but I still only use it for myself to take pics of my son :)

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Good grief woman, I agree with you for the most part. Get off my ass now. No need to write a novel.

Quoting Anonymous:

If someone is actually taking their instagram photos as ligit work, then shame on them for not asking for it in stock, or in high res format. Also shame on those girls for using that in their portfolio and deciving others. However, is it YOUR PR to worry about theirs? No, sit and wait. If for whatever reason they are taking YOUR business, just wait until a few clients, take notice that they are not ligit and are terrible photographers and business women. Then snag those clients up. I'm telling you, it's ALL good. I've been able to get business that way myself, and it's sweet joy.

But the point was not about shaddy business practices. The point of the post was really stop blaming your equipment or lack of equipment and anothers ability to buy whatever they chose to buy. If you are great in your craft, then take a little bit of pride and confidence in it. People will notice. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but they will notice and you can reap the benefits of it. Plus why does it matter (Not directed towards you, just everyone in general), if they have this or that camera, lens, etc? Some people are just vain, and for whatever reason have to have the biggest, badest whatever to out shine all. My husband has a friend like that. This friend knew my husband would save up and save up for whatever it was. Once my husband got it, this friend would notice and immediately would go out and get the more expensive bigger, bader whatever it was, just to one up him. The funny thing. These items I'm talking about, my husband is 1000 times more advanced and knowledgeable with how they work, and does a MUCH better job at a cheapier item. Who looks like the dumb ass now? The one who paid more than he realized for something he doesn't know how to use? Or the one who saved his money and only got what would get him by with the best quality? Get my point?

Quoting armywife009:

I don't care, let them do what they want. I've never seen the post you are talking about, but I hate when the girls in our area advertise their instagram photos as their "portfolios". It's just a peeve of my mine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armywife009:

My only thing is, everyone wants to be a photographer now. People think "Hey a cheap camera, I can make easy money now off of crappy pictures!"

Why not let them figure out just how much work and thought actually goes into good photography, rather than not being nice or socialable to them? Those are the ones that ultimately become GOOD, faithful clients for me. So what? What's it to you? That's why you always check their portfolio work before hiring them. My husband and I always check out another photographers portfolio before asking them to photograph whatever it is we are asking for. Ie, birth of our children. If I can not do it, for whatever reason, there is only ONE other photographer I go to. I know her work, I know her work style, and I know she will give me what I want, and then some.

Seriously is it going to hurt you? Chances are they will likely give it up before they get going. Or they may end up not liking it. Hey it's a bonus for you when they sale their used equipment online or whatever else. There is a thousand and one wins here.

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Sorry I got bored after the first few sentences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured