Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHY THE HECK WOULD AN ADULT....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
2 moms liked this

Tell a child they are fat? 

I was in the store the other day and a man told what looked like she was a 9 maybe 10 year old little girl that she was fat, and that she didn't need the .79 cent small piece of candy. REALLY? Who as and adult tells a child that? You can say 'oh honey you don't need that this close to supper' (it was about 5~6pm) You want to help them lose weight do it in a way that won't effect them mentally. You don't tell a child they are fat, because when they get older it could effect them in a negative way. That, and it's really messed up to tell someone so innocent that. BTW this guy wasn't the most fit person either and when I say that it's a nice way of saying he was about 350+ and 5'8". Err people are so heartless, and rude.

Ok vent over.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikala76
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm 80 pounds overweight and I once had a mother point me out in a store and tell her that she didn't want her little girl to get fat like me.

Also I have an overweight teenager, and sometimes when he wants me to buy him some sort of junkfood I'll nicely tell him no b/c I don't want him facing the same problems I have with my weight. But, I would never tell him he was fat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I know my ex SIL tells my dd she needs to go on a diet, drink more water etc.

She tells her dd that is is too ''fat'' and should drink more water and tells both my niece and my dd how to suck in their stomachs.

I really cant stand her for that

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

OMG thats horrible I'm sooo sorry hun

Quoting mommy_me:

I know my ex SIL tells my dd she needs to go on a diet, drink more water etc.

She tells her dd that is is too ''fat'' and should drink more water and tells both my niece and my dd how to suck in their stomachs.

I really cant stand her for that

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I see what your saying and I'm sorry that happened to you.

I just don't see how someone could tell someone that little or anyone for that fact, they are fat. So bluntly

Quoting mikala76:

I'm 80 pounds overweight and I once had a mother point me out in a store and tell her that she didn't want her little girl to get fat like me.

Also I have an overweight teenager, and sometimes when he wants me to buy him some sort of junkfood I'll nicely tell him no b/c I don't want him facing the same problems I have with my weight. But, I would never tell him he was fat.

mommycrissa
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, he might be thinking he is helping and being honest with her and worried that she is going to be overweight like him but he needs some help on how to care for his family and help them build a healthy relationship with food 

RLT2
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That's terribly sad, poor kid

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I agree with you one hundred percent.  When i was doing student teaching for art last year, this little girl called herself fat.( she was bigger then other girls but not fat)  there was only 9 student in the class. and all of the other little girls were like " you're not fat, who called you fat?" then the little girl didn't answer. It makes me feel like her parents were telling her that at home. It make me so sad to hear like a 7 year old call herself fat

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Maybe he thinks he's helping.  He's clearly going about it wrong, but maybe he's trying to help and doesn't want her fat like he is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Exactly he didn't have to be so blunt about it.

Quoting mommycrissa:

Yeah, he might be thinking he is helping and being honest with her and worried that she is going to be overweight like him but he needs some help on how to care for his family and help them build a healthy relationship with food 

salamandersmom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you, that was heartless and cold.  And, what the HELL is it with men, judging women to be too fat when they are not anywhere close to the picture of health?? 

I'm also very over weight.  26 years of marriage and five kids kinda slowed me down some.   (used to walk or bike, now I drive everywhere, etc)  It wasn't overnight, you know, crept up over 26 years...  And I"m trying to take it off for health - not beauty - reasons.  And its HARD.  I tell my kids not to obsess about staying thin, but its easier to manage 10 extra pounds instead of 140 extra pounds. 

And, I would never tell any kid he or she was fat.  That's just plain wrong, and in little girls especially can lead to eating disorders and suicides and all SORTS of bad stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)