Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit -- Why the f*$# are YOU telling me to do with MY kid????

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 190 Replies
3 moms liked this

Thank you to the mothers who have replied to my questions without getting defensive or simply saying "mind your own business"....because of the mothers who have answered with their reasons, I can see there are reasons I haven't thought of (motion sickness that gets better when they are forward facing, space issues with their vehicle - the big seats won't fit rear facing - or having many carseats in the vehicle).   It was a post similar to this one that opened my eyes to the idea 'what do you mean?  I don't HAVE to turn my son forward facing when he turns one?"  I looked more into the topic and was able to make an informed decision for my family.  

My hope is that  maybe one new mother read this post and will think more about what she wants to do based on the information that is available.  When my son was reaching his first birthday, I had a friend who said "Oooh!  Now you can move his seat forward!  It is sooo exciting and fun for them!"  I know this is what a lot of new mothers hear.  Thankfully, I had watched the videos and read the facts about rear facing and replied to her "No.  I will keep him rear facing."  Even after I told her why, she thought it was 'weird'....but, I didn't care.  She was never one to research anything or be able to give real reasons for her decisions, other than 'just because'.  She had her youngest daughter in a booster seat before she was 3 1/2 and actually, with a nervous laugh, said "we don't really care about that stuff'.  To each their own.  Anyway - thanks for your insights.  I appreciate the time you took.    

I think it's funny when mothers say with pride and confidence "I moved my child forward facing before the legal limit and they survived".....and then they go on to say "oh yeah, they never got in a bad car accident".  What if they had?  (Apparently these mothers do not care about the possibility of another driver smashing into them)....Having your child 'survive' forward facing, yet never having been in a car accident, says nothing at all about how 'safe' he/she is as a "forward facing child".  It only says how lucky they (and you) were.

It is the parents who have forward faced their children too young -- who have lost their children in accidents where being rear facing may have made the difference between their child living or dying -- it is THOSE parents who are telling their stories and PLEADING with other parents to not make the same mistake they did.  Those parents are trying so hard to TEACH other parents and hope other parents will listen.  I can't believe so many parents just turn their heads the other way, ignore those tragedies, shrug their shoulders, and say "I know what's best, so save your stories for someone who gives a shit".  Such a shame.

Why do parents want to turn their children forward facing the second it is legal???  Why do parents turn their children forward facing BEFORE it is legal???

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Some children can't handle being backwards. It is very uncomfortable and they scream the parents choose what they feel is best for said child.
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Some children can't handle being backwards. It is very uncomfortable and they scream the parents choose what they feel is best for said child.

How is forward facing 'less' uncomfortable??  A car seat is uncomfortable in most ways.  

My son hated the sun in his eyes when he was rear facing.  I got a shade.  And, now that he is forward facing, he still gets sun in his eyes (even with a shade).

Rear facing.....my son had to bend his knees.  

Now that he is forward facing (and very tall for his age)...he still has to bend his knees.

However, when he was rear facing....and had some drunk idiot crossed the line and crash into us full-speed - I don't know....would he have been safer forward facing, or rear facing?  

Does comfort trump safety?

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Or they vomit violently from facing backwards.

CafeMom Tickers
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
15 moms liked this

Why do some women feel the need to get up all in another mothers business?

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

When does that start?

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

When does that start?

My daughter started around 6 months. It took us until she was 11 months to figure out it was facing the rear of the car. I have the same issue. I could never ride in the rear facing seat of my parents' station wagon.

CafeMom Tickers
MommyChristina1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We waited until the legal age limit, but ds was small and didn't meet the legal weight limit.  I was in a hurry to try every new thing with him, so I was pushing him along.  Now, I recognize how stupid it was.  At 5 1/2 he's still in a 5 point.  We were LUCKY, plain and simple.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting armywife009:

Why do someone women feel the need to get up all in another mothers business?

Because some women care about all children's safety...even children who are not their own.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Wtf? Never heard such a thing.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

When does that start?

My daughter started around 6 months. It took us until she was 11 months to figure out it was facing the rear of the car. I have the same issue. I could never ride in the rear facing seat of my parents' station wagon.

3Aces2012.
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Yepppp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)