Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit -- Why the f*$# are YOU telling me to do with MY kid????

Thank you to the mothers who have replied to my questions without getting defensive or simply saying "mind your own business"....because of the mothers who have answered with their reasons, I can see there are reasons I haven't thought of (motion sickness that gets better when they are forward facing, space issues with their vehicle - the big seats won't fit rear facing - or having many carseats in the vehicle).   It was a post similar to this one that opened my eyes to the idea 'what do you mean?  I don't HAVE to turn my son forward facing when he turns one?"  I looked more into the topic and was able to make an informed decision for my family.  

My hope is that  maybe one new mother read this post and will think more about what she wants to do based on the information that is available.  When my son was reaching his first birthday, I had a friend who said "Oooh!  Now you can move his seat forward!  It is sooo exciting and fun for them!"  I know this is what a lot of new mothers hear.  Thankfully, I had watched the videos and read the facts about rear facing and replied to her "No.  I will keep him rear facing."  Even after I told her why, she thought it was 'weird'....but, I didn't care.  She was never one to research anything or be able to give real reasons for her decisions, other than 'just because'.  She had her youngest daughter in a booster seat before she was 3 1/2 and actually, with a nervous laugh, said "we don't really care about that stuff'.  To each their own.  Anyway - thanks for your insights.  I appreciate the time you took.    

I think it's funny when mothers say with pride and confidence "I moved my child forward facing before the legal limit and they survived".....and then they go on to say "oh yeah, they never got in a bad car accident".  What if they had?  (Apparently these mothers do not care about the possibility of another driver smashing into them)....Having your child 'survive' forward facing, yet never having been in a car accident, says nothing at all about how 'safe' he/she is as a "forward facing child".  It only says how lucky they (and you) were.

It is the parents who have forward faced their children too young -- who have lost their children in accidents where being rear facing may have made the difference between their child living or dying -- it is THOSE parents who are telling their stories and PLEADING with other parents to not make the same mistake they did.  Those parents are trying so hard to TEACH other parents and hope other parents will listen.  I can't believe so many parents just turn their heads the other way, ignore those tragedies, shrug their shoulders, and say "I know what's best, so save your stories for someone who gives a shit".  Such a shame.

Why do parents want to turn their children forward facing the second it is legal???  Why do parents turn their children forward facing BEFORE it is legal???

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Replies (101-110):
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I never knew that.  Thank you for sharing.

If your child did NOT have motion sickness.....do you think you would Forward face as just a basic milestone?

Quoting BeAmour:

motion sickness can begin at birth.

Riding backwards tricks your medulla and it geta confused with the motion and a result can be vomitting, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea.

A lot of the patients in the back of the ambulance get motion sickness. We've gotten into the habit of asking if they have motion sickness be it car/boat or have ever rode or flown backwards and what their reaction was. It helps us be prepared for those signs to appear and help the patient with dignity by having a bin readily available and make sure it's not new to their cheif complaint.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Some children can't handle being backwards. It is very uncomfortable and they scream the parents choose what they feel is best for said child.

Or they vomit violently from facing backwards.

When does that start?

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting one_on_the_way:

My three year old is ff and chooses to sit with his legs bent 90% of the time in "criss cross applesauce."

I have no idea which of my replies you are quoting....but, I think it's cool your child does 'criss cross applesauce"....ha ha ha!

LovelyJay512
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Maybe, you should keep your title as a reminder in your head for the next post when you try and bitch about someone's parenting decisions again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Absolutely. Didn't say I agree just explaining the science.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BeAmour:

So true. However, motion sickness isn't going to kill a kid. My ds had it from day 1 and still does at 9. Guess what? Even though the PCS from CA to MT sucked, I figured out the issue and gave her Dramamine. I sure as shit didn't turn her around fwd facing and risk other issues even with her heart and apnea monitor that was going off all the time. I pulled over. It is what was best. Not convenient.

PS. Yes. Her heart and apnea monitor went off before giving her Dramamine. All.the.time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM

And, how did I 'bitch'?  

Quoting LovelyJay512:

Maybe, you should keep your title as a reminder in your head for the next post when you try and bitch about someone's parenting decisions again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting BeAmour:

Sorry BeAmour. I wasn't refuting what you posted. I meant to quote what you quoted. Lol
LiliM
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM

You know, most moms, and I say this as a 5 year plus CM member, generally want what is best for their kids.  They will generally do what is safest, given their research and knowledge of their own kids.

What pisses me and other women off is the busy body attitude that is pervasive here on CM.  I have NEVER seen such fuckin know it alls on EVERYTHING as I have here, and the really at times rabid desire of said busy bodies to tell other women how poorly they are parenting.

Some people need to get a life.  No one wants kids hurt.  Everyone is aware of car seat safety.  Not seeing it exactly the same is something that comes with a large group of people.

So why insist on insulting other women, and attempting to foist your POV of what is right on everyone?

Sorry, not buying that it's safety of kids.  Sharing info is one thing.  Insisting and attempting to shame is another.  I have a low opinion of the common denominator here on CM.  But I don't think most women roll out, ciggy in one hand, beer in the other, and toss their 4 month old into a fwd facing seat to go leave the kid in the car for 14 minutes on a 90 degree day.

It gets tiresome coming across posts that preach from that vantage point.

vgmomof2grtkds
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Your kid, your choice!
Candymonster
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Meh, I don't even know much about the carseat law myself....

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

again our children our decision

i waited until my children was almost a year when i forward faced and i will let my children out of their boosters at age eight and there is nothing not even all the bashing you can do to get me to change my mind

yes it is heartbreaking that children die in car accidents but whether or not EVERYONE does exactly what they are supposed to do children will unfortuantely still die

no i am not a stupid parent but i have learned to trust my parenting skills which so far has raised some pretty awesome children (thanks to the good Lord above)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)