Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Okay I am really really stupid!!! No need for anyone to tell me though. Here is my stupid story. My husband and I have been wanting to move for a while now. We have been just thinking about it. Well today I got on craigslist and saw a beautiful house for rent. $900 and the owner would pay for the maintenance. I sent them an email seeking more info. They contacted me back a couple of hours later. They started off by saying that we needed to take care of the house and what not. Then they said the house was $900 with all bills included. My husband was surprised cause the house located in a very expensive part of town. Well they also said that they moved to West Africa doing missionary work and that they wouldn't be able to meet us. They asked for our names, address, home number, how many people would be living there, and a picture of my family and I. I sent them the info except for the picture and refernce contact info. I jumped right in cause I didn't want to miss out in such a good oppurtunity. I did a little searching and found the same house listed for rent in another website and they are asking for $1900 a mon. They gave me a phone number and I searched the area code and it it is from Nigeria. I am so stupid that I didn't do this research before replying. My question to you moms is, can they get my ssn just by knowing my name, address (no apt. #), home phone, and knowing how many kids I have. I feel sick to my stomach and want to vomit so bad. :(
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:37 AM
Replies (11-17):
crazy_mommyof2
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Most likely their next step was going to be to ask you to wire money to them.  Thats is where they really get you.  It happens all the time here in Miami. ETA:  People from other countries find pictures of vacat (and occupied) homes online....steal the pic and list it as their home for rent at a great price saying because they need someone to take care of it because they are working outside of the US, etc. After you wire your down payment.....they keep it of course and there is NOTHING you can do because they are not here in the US. Keep an eye on your credit, info, etc.......but most likely they were hoping you would wire them money and you caught on to them before you did:)

I am not sending them the money obviously and I am contacting the rental company tomorrow, if they are open. I know that they won't be able to open and credit accounts considering I CAN'T even open one, lol. I am just scared :( I can't sleep now.
crazy_mommyof2
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:09 AM
Quoting mom2hadley:

Usually if something seems to good to be true then it usually is. You really have to watch out on Craigslist for this kind of stuff. Life is all about mistakes and learning from them.

And right on my reply back to those idiots, I stated how too good to true it was. :( I can't stop kicking myself in the ass!!
hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think your stupid momma, I think they are getting smarter and finding craftier ways to fool people. I hate that people have to do that. I'm sorry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Quoting crazy_mommyof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Most likely their next step was going to be to ask you to wire money to them.  Thats is where they really get you.  It happens all the time here in Miami. ETA:  People from other countries find pictures of vacat (and occupied) homes online....steal the pic and list it as their home for rent at a great price saying because they need someone to take care of it because they are working outside of the US, etc. After you wire your down payment.....they keep it of course and there is NOTHING you can do because they are not here in the US. Keep an eye on your credit, info, etc.......but most likely they were hoping you would wire them money and you caught on to them before you did:)

I am not sending them the money obviously and I am contacting the rental company tomorrow, if they are open. I know that they won't be able to open and credit accounts considering I CAN'T even open one, lol. I am just scared :( I can't sleep now.

Someone stole my identity.  I learned about it at tax time:(   It is nothing I would wish on anyone, thats for sure.  It IS scary.  But from what you have said in your posts here, I seriously think you caught them in time.......before they were able to do any damage.  People like that mainly are interested in CASH.  As in you wiring your down payment for the rent, etc.  If they can't get it, they move on to the next person.  This happens at least once a week here in Miami and thats just what we hear about on the news.  Most likely they have recieved several down payments for this same home, which don't even belong to them. 

crazy_mommyof2
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Quoting hyper_bunny:

I don't think your stupid momma, I think they are getting smarter and finding craftier ways to fool people. I hate that people have to do that. I'm sorry. 

thank you :)
crazy_mommyof2
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous:
thank you for making me feel a little better :) it means so much, maybe I will be able to sleep. eta: Sorry about them stealing your identity. The same thing happened to my cousin except that his wife lost her purse and someone took his ssn card. Now someone is going by his name and ssn in another state. He has filed a police report but they say they can't do anything about it. Even the people at SS say they can't do anything about it.
dee1603
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Unfortunately you never know what they can do with personal information. People who do this are really good at what they do. Just place the fraud alert. You'll feel much better b

Quoting crazy_mommyof2:

Quoting dee1603:

Ok. Contact the 3 major credit bureaus. Experian. Equifax and trans union. Ask them to place a fraud alert on your credit profile. This will prevent any new accounts being open without contacting you first. Good luck

I will be doing that! So that means with just my phone number and address they can get a hold of my ssn? I never sent it to them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN