Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Growing up poor - there are some things I just never knew

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
There are some things I just never knew growing up

1. We got free lunch at school - I didn't know that school lunch actually cost
2. We had tuition waved, I didn't know that community schools had tuition
3. Until I was a teenager, I never knew that medical care cost money, I just assumed everyone had insurance

I am an adult now, and we are middle class. My son will be starting kindergarten next year, so I met with the principal at the community school last week. I honestly never knew there was a tuition attached to it. It's only 3,000 a year. So I asked my mom how she could afford to send us there to a community school and she said oh tuition was waved. As I was going through the information, I saw that I could add funds to his lunch account online - l then remembered seeing posts on here about free lunch. Oh wow - so it's 2.00 a day - 180 days of school, so dh and I are just going to set back 360 to pay all at once hen we pay tuition. Oh yeah and since I looked into this so early, no wait list as long as we put 1000 down by Jan. 1st! Whoo! I'm excited. Our public schools suck, so this is awesome.

It's run like a catholic school, minus the religion. So I'm excited.

Oh and uniforms are expensive. 35 dollars for a shirt with the schools logo on it.

Crazy!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Me to. I never knew that stuff either. Until I became an adult. However since Im kinda still "poor" we dont do private school. 

incognito116
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I grew up and I knew all that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM

At least you were oblivious to it while you were a child, that is awesome. Kids should not know each others financial status. Unfortunately for me I grew up poor too. We had a decent home that was subsidized in a good area, but when we would go to the lunch line they had it broken up between the free lunch line and the pay line. So all the kids knew who the poor ones were, and would make us pay hell for it. 

ltmana
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM
8 moms liked this
I used to think checks worked like free money..
You can write them out for ANY amount and there aren't consequences!
I also thought stop lights were operated by gnomes that lived in them and communicated with walkie talkies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I went to parochial school. I knew very well that everything had a high price tag.

LexRi0709
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I didn't qualify for free lunch at school. I knew about it because a friend had it. When I was in school you had to bring money everyday or lunch or charge it. There was no online payment.

Right now dd gets free lunch because of our income. However the school asks that every parent fill out the form to see if you qualify. I did qualify. We were just under the limit by $30 a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna.June
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM
I never knew that groceries could be bought with cash or debt cards. I grew up thinking everyone had a food stamp card. It wasn't until I was 10 and saw my grandmother purchase groceries with cash. I was like "why isn't she using her lonestar card???" Sad...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Quoting Canvas_says:

At least you were oblivious to it while you were a child, that is awesome. Kids should not know each others financial status. Unfortunately for me I grew up poor too. We had a decent home that was subsidized in a good area, but when we would go to the lunch line they had it broken up between the free lunch line and the pay line. So all the kids knew who the poor ones were, and would make us pay hell for it. 

I'm so sorry you went through that! We had lunch " cards ". It was an envelope with our name on it. It never dawned on me until I was typing this post that some kids envelopes probably weren't empty lol
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Funny, my 6 year old is always telling me just to use my bank card if she wants something like its an endless source of cash. 

Quoting ltmana:

I used to think checks worked like free money..
You can write them out for ANY amount and there aren't consequences!
I also thought stop lights were operated by gnomes that lived in them and communicated with walkie talkies.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My family was never poor enough to get those "perks" (free health care, tuition at schools, free lunch), but my parents were just middle class enough, lower middle, to not be able to afford to send me to college but I still needed to claim their income on my FASFA. If we didn't have health insurance then we didn't have health insurance.  

I certainly knew there was cost to things growing up. I am happy I was not ignorant of that fact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN