Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help with landlord!! Please

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM
  • 37 Replies
I moved into a house in Utah slightly over 2 years ago and at the time I wasn't even asked to sign a lease. A few months later, he asked us to sign one for 'the bank' so we did, no big deal. It was for a year and we never renewed it. A few months ago my landlord says his kids want to move in to the house, his daughter in laws exact words were "It's MY turn to live there" never mind that it was already occupied. But we found a smaller place and are in the process of moving out.
Today the landlord brought over a moving out list. It says, room by room , with basic stuff like clean toilets and such, but it also has things like cleaning all blinds, ceiling fans, window SCREENS,baseboards, stuff like that. Now, we are planning on doing most of that anyways, but really window screens?! And none of this was cleaned when we moved in , the ceiling fans rained dust when we moved in. And it say if these things aren't done we'll have to pay $35 an hour for a professional to do it.
But the kicker is the letter said that the cost of professional carpet cleaning will be deducted from the deposit (they are literally no spots, stains are anything in the carpet) and "X" company will be cleaning it and we COULD NOT use another company or do it yourselves. The company is the landlords business, he is the owner/operator. Is that even legal?! I did a little online research and it looks like normal use, not excessively dirty or stained, cannot be deducted. Anyone have any experience wth this?
I plan on taking a lot of pictures and have the landlord do a walk through and sign my own stupid checklist when we move out.
Oh, and it says we have to be out by noon on the last day of the month o_O

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Unless you agreed to those charges and cleaning fees when you signed the lease he can't stab you with wear and tear. Only if you leave it in shit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM
He has to give 30 days notice. Other than that, I think he can charge for whatever he wants.
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM
No, not in the lease, thanks!
Quoting Anonymous:

Unless you agreed to those charges and cleaning fees when you signed the lease he can't stab you with wear and tear. Only if you leave it in shit.

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM
He brought over this list today, we have to be out next Sunday
Quoting Anonymous:

He has to give 30 days notice. Other than that, I think he can charge for whatever he wants.

TurtleSquish
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM

if the laws there say nothing can be charged for normal wear and tear and you have PROOF that the carpet was in decent condition when you left, he can't charge you for it. if he does, take him to court.

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Bump!
Hollander
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Carpet cleaning is automatically been deducted off of everyplace I've lived with carpet :S  Also, unless you took pics of before or had him to a waok through documenting the condition of the place before you moved in, he can charge for every little scratch and dent...sorry you're finding out the hard way :( I had to pay 50$ once because I didn't clean the oven-which I had used a handful of times and I only lived there for 3 months :( always do an official run through and get the landlord to sign a paper noting all defects to the place.  Hopefully he won't charge too much!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
That's not legal.

Get a lawyer.

Quoting morrigan914:

He brought over this list today, we have to be out next Sunday

Quoting Anonymous:

Hollander
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

In your lease it should say how much notice he is required to give you 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Well unless you are willing to take him to court. He will probably get away with it.

You can try and call his bluff. I probably would.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)