Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

gifts for siblings

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it wrong to buy for siblings for each others birthdays...pretty much giving them multiple birthdays.

Options:

Yes

No who cares

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I was at a 5th birthday party for my husbands cousins DS. Of course everyone brought him gifts but what I didn't understand was why his little brother (who is just over 2. Birthday party was in march) had a pile of gifts. It seemed everyone who brought the birthday boy a gift brought little brother something too...and before you ask no they weren't little trinket gifts they were remote controlled cars, big wheel...the works....in sorry but I think that's ridiculous. Kids do not need presents on their siblings birthdays!! What happened to your special day? I didn't get little brother a gift and I didn't feel bad either. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Bump
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
My grandmother did that, but only when they were really little. She also made a point to shower the older siblings with gifts when a new baby was born. Love and miss that awesome woman! <3
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I wouldn't do it. Kids need to learn that it's not all about them all the time. My kids know that birthdays are a special occasion and that it is a special day for that person. We try to take everyone out to eat though and let the birthday boy/girl pick the place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CharlieSays
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Growing up I always got a gift from my parents on my brother's birthday and vice versa. My DD had two birthday parties this weekend and her 9 week old brother got gifts from my family too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
We did it for our kids, but only at their first few birthdays...and they would get one small toy. We don't do it now that they're older (3 and 4).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
We've had meltdowns over this. DD is 5 and when it's her birthday, it's all good. When it was the 2 year old's birthday, it "wasn't fair". Their birthdays are 26 days apart so I think that makes it harder. I like to make a big deal out of their birthdays so she gets really jealous when he gets so much attention.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I only buy the bday kid a gift..

BoggiezMom
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM
This

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

I wouldn't do it. Kids need to learn that it's not all about them all the time. My kids know that birthdays are a special occasion and that it is a special day for that person. We try to take everyone out to eat though and let the birthday boy/girl pick the place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I don't do it but I know a few people who do. I don't think a small gift is a big deal when kids are young, just enough to keep the other kid occupied while birthday kid opens their gifts but some people are ridiculous. I know someone who buys the exact same gift for her nephew and his brother. It's never anything small either, last party I was at the gift must have been about $50 and they got one each.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Kids need their own special day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)