Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yes I Give My Child Coffee, Deal With It!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD had an appointment today & she was so good so we went to Starbucks, which we don't do often.

Anyway, Summer likes the Caramel Frap which I ordered for her & made sure to get decaf.

The lady taking our order looked at me weird & said "um you do know that has coffee in it."  My response "yes which is why I asked for decaf."  She then rolled her eyes & said "but it has coffee in it & you are giving it to your child."  I said "yup this horrible mother is giving her 8yr old daughter a bit of decaf coffee, I know major parent fail on my part but I never claimed to be perfect, now can you please give them our cups so they can make our drinks & we can go about our day please."

I am sure there are are mother's on this site that will agree w/the cashier and that is ok your opinion, a bit of decaf isn't going to kill & is not a cashiers job to say anything.

I really don't understand when the world decided it was ok to butt into everyone else's business & tell them how to care for their children.  I am not beating my child, abusing my child or harming her in anyway so I don't get why people feel the need to stick their nose in people's lives!

Ok sorry rant over. Not sure why this irritated me so much but it did.

EDIT:  Ok I have no idea how someone even found this post to comment on it; it is rather old!lol

Anyway, since it got bumped I did call & speak to a manager.  I ended up getting some free Starbucks.  I haven't even used all the "gift cards" yet bc there are 2 other coffee shops we prefer; especially since they are locall owned.

The manager was very nice & apologetic & understood the irritation.  I don't know if the girl is still working there or not.

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM
That really wasn't her place to say hat to u. I see nothing wrong with what u did. I mean u should reward kids with things they like as long as it doesn't hurt them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I'd have asked to speak with a supervisor. It is never OK for a cashier to question a customer's purchase unless you have to be a certain age to buy it or it's a commonly abused drug. (Like cough syrup or spray paint)

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM

My dd is 8..I would never think of giving her coffee(which i drink daily)..What you do with your kids is your business.. 

kristiansmommy1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Haha my son tries to order lattes when we go to dd...I do get him decaf sometimes, when i was in the hospital giving birth my nurse had grown up in columbia said she grew up on coffee in her bottle...and my ex is from brazil and they used to give my son little cups of coffee with a lot of milk because thats how they grew up, they had coffee breaks in the afternoon. but I just read caffeine helps ADHD so I'm thinking about letting him start drinking regular, Its your child you decide whats best for her! I'd be damned a stranger said something like that to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Apparently it's okay to take your obese child to McDonald but if you get caught buying your child a rare coffee you're a horrible mother... Pfft just tell her to suck it and get your damn coffee!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Crap, you mean we shouldn't be doing that?

Quoting do11face:

Geeze, it's not like you gave her malt liquor, lmao.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I doubt she rolled her eyes at you and said all that.
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM

LOL!

Sadly she doesn't have to worry about coffee stunting growth, family history has already done that for her.  My dad is only 5'6, me & my mom are 5'3 & my sister is 4'8.  My DH's family isn't tall either, my DH is 5'11 so unless she gets some height from him she has no hope at getting tall.lol

Quoting Devious333:

I think coffee stunted my growth...lol

do11face
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

yeah, I do believe it is frowned upon these days. : /

Quoting Anonymous:

Crap, you mean we shouldn't be doing that?

Quoting do11face:

Geeze, it's not like you gave her malt liquor, lmao.

EmmaGlenn20
by Canadian Sweetheart on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM
We drink coffee on occassion but we're HUGE tea drinkers so my kids will be brought up having tea time :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured