Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

morning after pill be given out in schools in New York?

Has someone posted about this already? I'm mobile so I can't do a search. But I'm listening to the news in the car and they are talking about how the kids are being given the morning after pill at school without their parents' knowledge. They sent a note home to the kids parents in assume that the parents have read it and agree with the program. You don't have to opt-in, you simply have to opt-OUT if you DON'T want your kid to be able to take the pill.

O.o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Replies (111-115):
Junesmommy18
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM
My parents NEVER gave me the talk.

I wasn't comfortable talking to my parents about my period and changing body during sex. I sure as hell wasn't talking to them about sex..

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

Who says most kids can't talk to their parents about sex stuff?

Quoting Starburst72:

most kids cannot talk to their parents about sex stuff and if they need the morning after pill they should be able to get it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

full time, even been hospitalized for it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's crazy. Does she have full asthma or exercise induced? I can't understand how they can make rules that circumvent what's best medically for a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter has all the proper paperwork and can still only have it on her after school during track and field. 

Quoting jstanthrmom:

All it takes here for my kids to carry medication on them is proper paperwork from school and the kids pediatrician to keep their meds on them. My DD has an EPI on her at all times and my son has his inhaler.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter can't even carry her prescribed rescue inhaler in school, but damn give her a possible dangerous drug without letting me know. Sounds legit. 

Ashleeduhh
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM
I think it's great that they can get it if they mess up and need it. Better than getting pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Oh ok I see. All the schools I went to only had a school nurse that couldn't give out prescriptions so I wasn't sure how they would do that

Quoting LucyMom08:

The prescriptions are handled by a health department doctor...

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A:

I dont know how that would work since girls under 17 would need an actual prescription for it. 

tanknjerbear311
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I don't use BC because I too had a bad reaction to it, but I've considered trying this copper ring thing, that doesn't do anything but prevent the pregnancy. I think it's a copper IUD. I'm definitely not envious of you having a daughter. lol. I tell my oldest that if he makes me a grandmother before 40, he will be doing it on his own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, I believe we are in the minority in parenting. Good job on teaching your boys the same!

It is because we feel that if we supply her it, she will view it as permission to have sex. I haven't looked into the non-hormonal types, but I know the regular kind messed me up. Plus, she doesn't need it for any other reason. No, condoms don't always prevent pregnancy, but they do protect again STDs.

Quoting tanknjerbear311:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am sure I will get bashed, but I don't care. I don't understand what is so difficult about parents teaching their children to wait to have sex. Wait until they are in a commited relationship. Wait until they are old enough to truly know what it means to love someone. Teach them respect for themselves. I didn't wait until I was married and I truly regret it now. The men I was with before my husband didn't love me. They only wanted to get in my pants. Fortunately I never got pregnant or any type of disease, but I did have my heart broken. I gave away part of me that I could never get back. I am teaching my SD now about abstinence. The importance of waiting. I have taught her if she absolutely feels it's necessary for her to have sex to use condoms, but we will not supply her with birth control. If she chooses to play "adult", then she can deal with the adults consequences that could come with it.

I hear you mama, I am teaching my boys the same. Reality is that we are the minority in parenting. I'm just curious, though I know that condoms are useful, but they are not for sure on preventing pregnancy all the time.

Are you adamant about not providing BC based on religion, or something else. I'm just curious. I don't currently agree with all the forms of BC out there, but there ar non-hormonal options that could beneift without causing any major side effects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN