Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cat pee smell

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Does anyone know any home remedies for getting rid of the odor of cat urine? I am so regretting taking in this cat, it peed on my new couch the very night we purchased it.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Did you buy the fabric protection plan? If you bought a plan like Guardsman, they'll tell you how to get it out, or send a cleaner, or replace it. 

This is from Guardsman's website. Check with your sofa manufacturer and/or fabric protection plan before cleaning with anything, or you'll void your warranty.

Pet Odors

Urine—Urine is probably the #1 cause of pet-related odor problems.  Since lingering odors result from fluids that penetrate deep into the core of the fiber and have a chance to dry, it’s important to act quickly!

Right after the accident use an absorbent dry towel or paper towels to blot up as much of the liquid as possible.  Next, apply several ounces of water directly to the stained area, again blotting up as much of the moisture as possible. Finally, fold a clean towel into quarters and lay it directly on top of the stain, using a heavy object to hold the towel in place for several hours. The absorbent action of the layered towel helps pull the diluted urine out.  The water also acts as a gentle and effective cleaning agent. If you still notice a stain, use GuardsmanFabric First Aid to remove any remaining surface soil. For tougher urine stains, including those that have had a chance to dry before being noticed, try an oxidizing stain remover, bio-modifier, or pet urine neutralizer (you can find these products at most pet stores).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Laundry detergent with a tiny bit of water, let is soak on the area and then clean it off. Good luck. 

casah4
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bgbootyho:

Omg I would've kicked his butt outside right then and there. That sucks.

Yeah he is outside. He did it during the night while we were asleep. I started noticing a bad smell everytime I sat down so I began sniffing around and the cushions on my brand new sofa smell like cat pee. So I kicked the cat out. He kept pooping on the bathroom rug too. I felt sorry for him and brought him in and today he peed all over the bathroom floor. I just changed the litter yesterday. I keep the litter box cleaned.

Have you taken him to the vet to see if there's a medical reason causing this behavior?

Vinegar works well, but Odo Ban is the best stuff I've used.

x2kidsn1bendux
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide..... here's the link to the hydrogen peroxide. I personally prefer to use apple cider vinegar

www.ehow.com/about_6629744_hydrogen-peroxide-cat-urine.html

Dont know how to make it a "linkie"

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bgbootyho:

Yeah he is outside. He did it during the night while we were asleep. I started noticing a bad smell everytime I sat down so I began sniffing around and the cushions on my brand new sofa smell like cat pee. So I kicked the cat out. He kept pooping on the bathroom rug too. I felt sorry for him and brought him in and today he peed all over the bathroom floor. I just changed the litter yesterday. I keep the litter box cleaned.

You might have to try different cat litter. Some cats are just picky. Is he declawed? Some cat litters actually cause pain for declawed cats. Is he marking? If there are other cats roaming around outside, he could be doing it to mark his territory. Also make sure the cat litter box is in an out of the way area that isn't noisy.

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Vinegar and baking soda
Peroxide
Listerine added to either of the above
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bgbootyho:

You might have to try different cat litter. Some cats are just picky. Is he declawed? Some cat litters actually cause pain for declawed cats. Is he marking? If there are other cats roaming around outside, he could be doing it to mark his territory. Also make sure the cat litter box is in an out of the way area that isn't noisy.

Yes he is declawed and neutered. He belonged to my inlaws and they told DH they had to get rid of the cat because of their pet deposit at the house they were renting. They said they could only afford to pay for their two dogs and couldn't afford the cat. They were just going to toss him out on a road somewhere (horrible people I know they did the same with their $350 Boxer that they couln't potty train). Since I know he's declawed I felt bad for the kitty just being tossed out to fend for himself so I asked DH if we could take him because I love cats. About a week after we had him he started pooping on the rug in the bathroom. Now, he pees all over the house. What is a good litter brand for a declawed cat?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting casah4:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bgbootyho:

Have you taken him to the vet to see if there's a medical reason causing this behavior?

Vinegar works well, but Odo Ban is the best stuff I've used.

No, I didn't think of it. I wasn't aware medical reasons caused them to not use the litter. Thank you for the knowledge.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You need something softer like wheat litter or litter made from recycled newspapers. Regular litter clumps and sticks in the poor kitty's scarred paws. Declawed cats are notorious for having problems with going potty outside the litter box, both because of pain and because they become insecure without their primary defenses.

If you think you have other cats hanging around outside your home, you can find spray at your local home improvement store to spray the perimeter of your home. It creates an odor that deters wild animals (including feral cats) from wandering into the area. I've also seen motion detectors that set off sprinklers to scare cats off. I think certain plants, as well, will deter stray cats.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he is declawed and neutered. He belonged to my inlaws and they told DH they had to get rid of the cat because of their pet deposit at the house they were renting. They said they could only afford to pay for their two dogs and couldn't afford the cat. They were just going to toss him out on a road somewhere (horrible people I know they did the same with their $350 Boxer that they couln't potty train). Since I know he's declawed I felt bad for the kitty just being tossed out to fend for himself so I asked DH if we could take him because I love cats. About a week after we had him he started pooping on the rug in the bathroom. Now, he pees all over the house. What is a good litter brand for a declawed cat?

wodntulk2kno1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Vinegar ..also keeps them from using the spot again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)