Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my child has MRSA...that makes me a bad mom?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
My 7 year old dd got bit by a spider while we were camping. I kept an eye on it and on Monday it wasn't better, but worse. I took her to get it looked at. They ended up needing to lance it and pack it with an antibiotic gauze. Tested her for MRSA, and it came back positive. She's been on antibiotics for 8 days and it looks really good. She had the gauze taken out and the dr. said it looks great.
Anyway, my mom was making me feel horrible about it. Like i don't care for my kids properly. She said its going to always affect her and blah blah...
Has anyone had a child get this infection? Have you had anymore problems since then? I don't know much other than her dr. telling me everyone has it on their skin and is just a matter of it getting into an open wound.
Ugh....I feel like shit.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnaNonamus
by Spanky Pants :) on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Some people who get MRSA infections will wind up much more susceptible to it in the future. I know one family who has to closely watch every scratch, cut, scrap, bug bite, etc, that their child gets, because the chances are like 75% that he will have another MRSA infection from it.
1Angeland3Girls
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM

bump

Leobaby2007
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Oh, gosh, I am so sorry. I don't know anything about this, but you can't blame yourself. I know it's hard not to- we're moms, after all. (((HUGS)))

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter had MRSA, it happens. Tell your mom to stuff it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Thats not good....
I am always so cautious with these things. I clean and cover wounds like i should. Sucks!

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Some people who get MRSA infections will wind up much more susceptible to it in the future. I know one family who has to closely watch every scratch, cut, scrap, bug bite, etc, that their child gets, because the chances are like 75% that he will have another MRSA infection from it.
Ninjabubble
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM
You're not a bad mom.
You took her to the doctor yes?

If you completely neglected it, then yeah that would be a bad mom move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM
MRSA can cause permanent problems but not always. MRSA is a staph infection but it has become resistant to methylyn which is on of our strongest antibiotics. Unfortunately these things happen. You can get MRSA from touching a door on with a cut on your hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ltmana
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM
You'd be a bad mom if you didn't take her to be treated. Don't let your mom make you feel like a crappy parent. I hope your dd recovers quickly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I still feel bad. Now that she said those things to me. :/

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Oh, gosh, I am so sorry. I don't know anything about this, but you can't blame yourself. I know it's hard not to- we're moms, after all. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Ds had it when he was 9 months old.  I have no idea how he got it. :( He hasn't had it since and it hasn't affected him in any way.  Your mom must not know much about how MRSA works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)