Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to go to work tomorrow

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm so freaking sick of bullying customers about signing up for the red card!!!

If I don't ask I get in trouble for not pushing the red card.

UHG it's making work seriously unbearable. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Replies (21-26):
anikahaynes1
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM
That's awful!!! Why are retail store so rude to their employees about this kind of stuff?!? I don't totally need the job thank god. But the extra money is nice. I can't imagine though having to depend on such a crappy job. :-/

Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

I had to do the something just like that when I worked at Bealls, but I was terrible at it. The worst job like that I had was at a high end linen store called Strouds. I was a cashier and if I missed asking any customers if they wanted to sign up for any of the promotions, I would get a write up. I did not stay long....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Retail is one of the hardest jobs OUT there... seriously. I've been doing it for 11 years... and there are certain places I refuse to work, certain types of retail I won't do.... etc. I don't do commission based sales, for instance. Because I refuse to push a product I don't believe in, or upsale a gullible person so I can make more money. That's freaking wrong.

Do you get special perks if you sign X amount of people up for the card? We did... I was only seasonal so it didn't matter AS much for me, but full time, year round ppl... that was some PRESSURE. They got monthly evaluations and they would see how many ppl you signed up for the card. If you fell below the line for X amount of time (can't remember how long) you were fired.

You also had to sell X dollars every shift. They took the average of what the store made on that shift the year before, and set it as a standard... you had to meet or exceed that amount every shift. It was super hard to do sometimes... esp in the "home" department- bed sheets and cooking stuff, etc. They had this "trifecta of awesome" that they wanted us to meet- you had to exceed your sales standard, sign up more than three ppl, and average more than $300 per person, and you could enter the trifecta drawing, which typically you would win like, a gift card or something.

I really enjoyed Macy's overall... idk if you have one nearby but at least at MY store they were really friendly and supportive... much easier to work in that kind of place than Target, I would think. Maybe you could apply!

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Yes customers need to tell management how annoying it is. And yes taxes are over 7% here too. So wtf?!? I'll admit I have a red card I like it. But I get employee discounts too so I'm getting a better deal.

But yeah being just on check lane is hard to build a relationship with the customer. I'm over it. Haha :(

Plus I get a lot of bitchy customers anyway its just their personalities. Telling me I'm stupid to my face!!! I wish I was making this up. I'm polite and everything UHG!!

Quoting livn4hevn:

well it doesn't help that you're promoting a shitty deal, too. I mean, at Macy's we're on the floor walking the customer through the entire sale, so there's lots of opportunity to suggest our card.

They actually APPRECIATE that... like you're helping them get the lowest possible price.

But 5% isn't really a deal. I mean, in my area tax alone is 7.4%! And when you're just the cashier and you haven't really built a relationship with the customer, they just show up, pay and leave... it's hard to promote a deal like that. Target shouldn't be asking you to do that... that's so shitty.

Next time I'm in there I'll talk to the manager and complain about it. Maybe by going to management, as a customer, we can make some changes for the poor cashiers who get the stink eye from every guest!!!

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I do all of that. I don't live in millionaire row or anything but people in my snotty part of town just don't care. UHG. Lol

And yes my management is the same way. How come you didn't try harder??

Then I try harder and then they tell me I'm being too aggressive. I can't win with my management. UHG!!

Funny you say that about kohls. My dr today was just talking about her daughter working there and hating having to ask a million times about it. She said her dd quit because on customer service side it was awful being so pushy about it.

Quoting livn4hevn:

that sucks. We had to do the same for the Macy's Star Card... it's a credit card tho....

What would piss me off is that I would talk about the benefits, and then the customer would say "no thank you" and I would move on... then later my management would come over and say "you know, if you had pushed a little bit more I'm sure they would have signed up..."

Ummmm... no. I hate being asked when I'm the customer, so I'm not gonna beg when I'm the cashier.

Idk if you're interested, but I find that customers don't get so totally offended if you throw it out there the right way... two options....

"You know, you could sign up for the Target Red Card and that would save you 5%... basically it would be tax free!"... when you overhear or see the customer gawk at their final bill...

or

After you have rung them up and they pull out their payment, you could try something like "did you want to use your Target Red Card today?" and they'll say "I don't have one" and you can then say "It would save you 5% if you signed up today! Just a suggestion!" and be all happy about it- like you're trying to help or w/e.

Idk... sometimes there's just no good way to do it. When they get mean (customers) I would be honest. "I know it's annoying for me to ask... I'm required to suggest it. I'm sorry."

I think the worst I've ever seen as a customer are the Kohls card ppl... holy shit. They DO NOT take no for an answer!

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Everytime they ask me I just say 'no thank you' and smile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Props to you for sticking in retail for so long!!

No my store doesn't give us any rewards for signing people up but they expect us ( all cashiers from open to close as a collective ) to get 25 red cards a day. But that is difficult when 80% of the customers have it already. And they still are on everyone's case trying to get more than that a day. UHG lol

Yes I've been looking for other jobs no luck. Oh well

Quoting livn4hevn:

Retail is one of the hardest jobs OUT there... seriously. I've been doing it for 11 years... and there are certain places I refuse to work, certain types of retail I won't do.... etc. I don't do commission based sales, for instance. Because I refuse to push a product I don't believe in, or upsale a gullible person so I can make more money. That's freaking wrong.

Do you get special perks if you sign X amount of people up for the card? We did... I was only seasonal so it didn't matter AS much for me, but full time, year round ppl... that was some PRESSURE. They got monthly evaluations and they would see how many ppl you signed up for the card. If you fell below the line for X amount of time (can't remember how long) you were fired.

You also had to sell X dollars every shift. They took the average of what the store made on that shift the year before, and set it as a standard... you had to meet or exceed that amount every shift. It was super hard to do sometimes... esp in the "home" department- bed sheets and cooking stuff, etc. They had this "trifecta of awesome" that they wanted us to meet- you had to exceed your sales standard, sign up more than three ppl, and average more than $300 per person, and you could enter the trifecta drawing, which typically you would win like, a gift card or something.

I really enjoyed Macy's overall... idk if you have one nearby but at least at MY store they were really friendly and supportive... much easier to work in that kind of place than Target, I would think. Maybe you could apply!

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Yes customers need to tell management how annoying it is. And yes taxes are over 7% here too. So wtf?!? I'll admit I have a red card I like it. But I get employee discounts too so I'm getting a better deal.

But yeah being just on check lane is hard to build a relationship with the customer. I'm over it. Haha :(

Plus I get a lot of bitchy customers anyway its just their personalities. Telling me I'm stupid to my face!!! I wish I was making this up. I'm polite and everything UHG!!

Quoting livn4hevn:

well it doesn't help that you're promoting a shitty deal, too. I mean, at Macy's we're on the floor walking the customer through the entire sale, so there's lots of opportunity to suggest our card.

They actually APPRECIATE that... like you're helping them get the lowest possible price.

But 5% isn't really a deal. I mean, in my area tax alone is 7.4%! And when you're just the cashier and you haven't really built a relationship with the customer, they just show up, pay and leave... it's hard to promote a deal like that. Target shouldn't be asking you to do that... that's so shitty.

Next time I'm in there I'll talk to the manager and complain about it. Maybe by going to management, as a customer, we can make some changes for the poor cashiers who get the stink eye from every guest!!!

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I do all of that. I don't live in millionaire row or anything but people in my snotty part of town just don't care. UHG. Lol

And yes my management is the same way. How come you didn't try harder??

Then I try harder and then they tell me I'm being too aggressive. I can't win with my management. UHG!!

Funny you say that about kohls. My dr today was just talking about her daughter working there and hating having to ask a million times about it. She said her dd quit because on customer service side it was awful being so pushy about it.

Quoting livn4hevn:

that sucks. We had to do the same for the Macy's Star Card... it's a credit card tho....

What would piss me off is that I would talk about the benefits, and then the customer would say "no thank you" and I would move on... then later my management would come over and say "you know, if you had pushed a little bit more I'm sure they would have signed up..."

Ummmm... no. I hate being asked when I'm the customer, so I'm not gonna beg when I'm the cashier.

Idk if you're interested, but I find that customers don't get so totally offended if you throw it out there the right way... two options....

"You know, you could sign up for the Target Red Card and that would save you 5%... basically it would be tax free!"... when you overhear or see the customer gawk at their final bill...

or

After you have rung them up and they pull out their payment, you could try something like "did you want to use your Target Red Card today?" and they'll say "I don't have one" and you can then say "It would save you 5% if you signed up today! Just a suggestion!" and be all happy about it- like you're trying to help or w/e.

Idk... sometimes there's just no good way to do it. When they get mean (customers) I would be honest. "I know it's annoying for me to ask... I'm required to suggest it. I'm sorry."

I think the worst I've ever seen as a customer are the Kohls card ppl... holy shit. They DO NOT take no for an answer!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Don't you ever get annoyed though?! Or decide not to shop somewhere because you know you'll be asked for the millionth time to sign up?!

Quoting AF2011:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Yeah it gets annoying

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Don't you ever get annoyed though?! Or decide not to shop somewhere because you know you'll be asked for the millionth time to sign up?!

Quoting AF2011:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured