Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbor etiquette- should I say something?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So DH, our two kids under the age of 2, and I live in an apartment on the 2nd floor. The building is smoke free, and we are non-smokers, however, the people above us smoke out on their deck what seems like 24/7. One of them is always out there smoking. And even with our windows and deck door shut, we can still smell it, and my daughter seems to be bothered by it because she plugs her nose. It bothers DH and I too. I know it's outside so they're allowed to smoke outside but it's really starting to irritate my DS's breathing, since he's a newborn.

Do I have any right to say anything to our neighbors/management? I don't want to seem like a b*tch...
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM

it wouldnt hurt to mention it to them but technically they are outside. i just really don't understand how even with all your windows and doors shut, you still smell it.

Baybeelove88
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I would try to talk to the neighbors first... Ask them nicely, people don't usually try to be assholes...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AFWifeNMom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM
This is exactly what I was going to say!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

please. How exactly is someone smoking on their deck effecting your infants breathing? your daughter plugs her nose because she notices you and your hubby don't approve of it. Talk to management but really I don't see an issue. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Yeah we live in Minnesota, so it's starting to get cool. A humidifier is a good idea, thanks!

Quoting meparty:

Is it cooler there?   Use a humidifier that will clear him up.. not much you can do about the smoke, except move.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're probably a smoker. Most smokers don't realize how disgusting their habit is to non-smokers. And ever since we moved in here, he is getting a lot of hard boogers, stuffy nose, etc. He had his two month appt on Monday and when I asked, the pedi said it could be from second or third hand smoke.

Quoting Anonymous:

please. How exactly is someone smoking on their deck effecting your infants breathing? your daughter plugs her nose because she notices you and your hubby don't approve of it. Talk to management but really I don't see an issue. 

LovelyMommy24
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If it's seeping through the door, can you get your landlord to get you a new door? I don't understand how this could possibly be happening. I can't smell anything in my house from outside. Even if my neighbor is burning leaves I can't smell that in my house. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have to be so negative and rude? I was pretty sure I didn't have the right to say anything, I just wanted other opinions, not a tongue lashing. Go get laid or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously? They are outside. If you have your windows open, shut them. If its seeping through the door or something, invest in some weather stripping.

You women will find damn near anything to bitch about huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I didn't think we'd be able to smell it as strongly as we do, but we do. We can even smell it in our walk in closet of all places lol, I really have no idea how!

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

I'm so confused as to how you can smell this is your house...?

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

We used to live in an apartment, underneath someone who smoked on the balcony.  Yes, I could often smell it.  It was gross.  I know your pain.  The difference was that our complex wasn't smoke-free.  Check with management to see if the balcony is considered part of the building.  It never hurts to ask.  If the neighbors are violating the lease by smoking, then they'll get a warning, and it should stop.  If they're not in violation, well, sorry to say you're stuck with it.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM
they're not going to do anything. Outside is outside and ive lived in many apartments. You're gonna have to suck it up or move... My lls know i smoke and. I live in a no smoking complex... Ive even walked in my garage (which is attached) with a smoke while they were here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Well your house is a large space than my 900 sq ft apartment with another apartment directly above us. I don't know how it's happening, but it is. Why would I make it up? Just to come into CafeMom and complain? Ok...

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

If it's seeping through the door, can you get your landlord to get you a new door? I don't understand how this could possibly be happening. I can't smell anything in my house from outside. Even if my neighbor is burning leaves I can't smell that in my house. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have to be so negative and rude? I was pretty sure I didn't have the right to say anything, I just wanted other opinions, not a tongue lashing. Go get laid or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously? They are outside. If you have your windows open, shut them. If its seeping through the door or something, invest in some weather stripping.

You women will find damn near anything to bitch about huh?

KimandCarrie
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Just because smoke rises doesn't mean that the stench doesn't permeate the air. If you fart the whole room is going to smell not just the trail of heated air that leaves your butt and heads for the sky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured