Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i have mice!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Please what do I do to get rid of them. my landlord has been doing nothing he gave me a couple little glue traps the only caught 1 and they're still here.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
.Chubbs.
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM

clean up dont leave things out,look for ways for them to come in,set some traps they love peanut butter and put them along the walls because mice are blind and they run along the walls and will get caught everytime

Mcelly
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Move.

mariesmama
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM

and best of all you can dispose of the mice without getting hands anywhere near the mouse this is what we use

Quoting KyrinM:

The Better Mousetrap, is looks like a chip clip thingy, it is easy to set & very effective.
Quoting Anonymous:

thank you!!!! what are the best traps??

Quoting KyrinM:

Set up some regular traps with peanut butter.  The glue ones are cruel, they don't kill instantly. 

Other things you can do with your pantry, make sure all your food is in a plastic container, they love getting into flour, oats, rice, etc, so make that inaccessible by putting them in sealed containers.  Leftover coffee canisters work great for this, a 5lb bag of sugar fits in one perfect.  I keep all my sauce mixes in a big plastic ziplock tub, they get into those if they can. 

Once you have the food hard for them to get into, just keep setting the traps.  Since the traps are the only easy source of food they will hit those.  Usually a family of mice numbers between 5 & 8, so just keep resetting until you don't catch any for a week, at that point you probably got them all.  Then just leave a trap set all the time, just remember to check it every couple days, a dead mouse left in one is just ewww.

LanaTsunami
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Get a cat and call it a day
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM

a few years ago we moved to a house that had a shed against the fence, but the owners had ignored it for so long it was overrun with rats. they had left bags of deer corn and chicken feed in it. it wasnt in our yard so we couldnt do anything with it. we had rat traps in the house, but for outside we had a box, with 2 holes in it, and poison inside. the rats go in, eat the poison and die. i think we got it at lowes? im not sure. i know one of the mcd's here uses them, bc i saw one outside. lol.

luckily one of our dogs loves killing rats. he doesnt eat them, just grabs them, crunches them one good time, and leaves them. our rat problem was taken care of pretty quickly.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell your landlord it is a natural alternative to traditional extermination and only temporary.

Quoting Anonymous:

i'm not allowed to have pets 

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Get a cat

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetandSassy12
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Move or put your stuff into an escroe accout
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM

It's little pellets, and they are CHEAP.  It's in a yellow triangle shaped box.  You're supposed to open the box and set it near a place you see them.  I had a problem with them under my kitchen sink (going under my dishwasher).  So I put it down there where they could eat it (it's a poison) and of course I always keep my cabinets locked so I didn't have to worry about the kids trying to eat it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

DCon? how do i use it? is it safe? i have young ones too

Quoting Anonymous:

I tried all of the "home" remedies... I didn't want to put down poison (I have 4 kids, one is a year old... they touch/eat everything) and I the traps didn't work (we had smart mice LOL). 

I finally gave up and purchased some DCon. 

Haven't seen a mouse since.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Tell your cheap landlord, either get rid of the mice or you're getting a cat!

Quoting Anonymous:

i'm not allowed to have pets 

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Get a cat

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Lots and Lots of glue traps, Behind furniture against walls. Create choke points for them with furniture if you can. Pull a bookcase away from the wall a bit and put a couple traps back there. traps on the other side of closet doors and stuff like that. Under the dryer (its warm there). Everywhere you see them run put glue traps. Bait the middle of the glue traps with peanutbutter and mouse food. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)