Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son is being signed out of the public school system tomorrow

Posted by   + Show Post
They are releasing him so that he can pursue his GED at only 17. It is slightly disappointing, but it is probably his best option at this point. It is also the option he is most likely to be successful with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-15):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

If he has no high school credits then his studies is 10th grade level?

Quoting TrouserMouse:

He has a disability that was making his interactions in high school very difficult. He went through several years of major depression along with it. He basically missed 3 years of school. Luckily, his disability is something that seems to be improving with age and he is doing better now and has pulled out of the depression.

He should be a Senior this year, but has almost no high school credits. Trying to make that up through the traditional school system would be overwhelming, if not impossible. He would not likely be successful. So, it seems a GED is his best option.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why wasn't he successful in a school environment?

TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM
He has gone off and on since 9th grade, but the last grade he completed was 8th.

Quoting Anonymous:

If he has no high school credits then his studies is 10th grade level?

Quoting TrouserMouse:

He has a disability that was making his interactions in high school very difficult. He went through several years of major depression along with it. He basically missed 3 years of school. Luckily, his disability is something that seems to be improving with age and he is doing better now and has pulled out of the depression.

He should be a Senior this year, but has almost no high school credits. Trying to make that up through the traditional school system would be overwhelming, if not impossible. He would not likely be successful. So, it seems a GED is his best option.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why wasn't he successful in a school environment?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muthrof_2
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM
That's why you asked earlier about how people view geds. ... I'm sure he'll do great, that's why I took that route. Good luck to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I did that too, only in my case I had no hope of graduating on time. It hasn't ever stopped me from doing anything. Good luck to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM
If that's what is best for him then do it. I see nothing wrong with it at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)