Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (101-110):
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

We do it as soon as we get home.  And I don't have to fight because they know the TV does not turn on until it is done correctly.

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Because my son was so horrible about getting homework done and studying we came up with a schedule for this school year.

From 3:30 to 5:00 he gets to relax, play video games, watch TV, whatever it is he wants to do.

From 5:00 to 6:30 we eat dinner and have family time.

From 6:30 to 9:00 he has study time. He does his homework, studies his school books or reads.

Then at 9:00 he goes to bed.

sakpoints
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Generally as soon as DD gets home if our schedule allows.  This is more because she is only in 2nd grade and I am afraid we will both forget about it completely.  As she gets older I will not care as long as it is done.  We don't have a special place or supplies for homework.

meparty
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

after dinner.  Dinner is at 6, homework right after.

bmack2107
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

We have to have him do it right after school (he gets a snack while he is doing it) He has to have his homework done before he does ANYTHING. Idc what pencil he uses.. as long as it's done.

ambernicole531
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Our routine is different based on behaivor at school. If he has had to move his clip more than twice, its early bedtime, homework right after school, otherwise he can play outside, read a book and generally chill out until I am starting dinner. Then while dinner is cooking (around 5pm) he has to start on chores and homework. He can generally do it without help. I have a tool turn around from pampered chef. I don't care when they use the crayons, glue, pencils as long as they treat them respectfully. With younger children I have to supervise this lol.

asmoni
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 7 with ADHD so we really have to have a routine for homework. He is in the first grade and has daily HW. We do homework in the dining room, him and I together, no tv or interruptions, takes bout 15-20 minutes each day. Here is our schedule::
245 pick up from school
Snack and free time
340 we leave for swim team
4-430 swim
445 shower/bath
I begin dinner about 530 and we work on homework while it's cooking.
So far we've had a successful year :)
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Get home snack and then start homework. We do half before dinner and rest after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM
They have a snack and then do it. I raised them to do it while the day is still in their minds. I do homeschool my 2 youngest ones, and dh does "homework" with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM
They do it right after dinner. Usually they sit at the kitchen table or in my room. My girls have all their school supplies in their backpack like pencils, pens, highlighters and map colors and map colors. So whatever they need it's already near their homework. My DS has pencils in his backpack that he uses as well. We also have an old make up kit filled with crayon, glue and scissors for their use if need be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)