Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It depends on the day.  They usually come home from football practice, eat dinner, shower and then do homework.  If they don't have practice they come home and hang out with friends/ go outside.  

No electronics until homework is done, bags are packed up for the next day and their lunch is made.  They plan their time with homework, but they are also in middle school and high school.  When they were younger I allowed them time to unwind after school and then they did it while I made dinner.

grouchymama
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

My oldest is in Kindergarten. When we get home, I go through his book bag while the kids eat a snack. Then we do his homework. If it's something he can do on his own I get dinner started while he works at the kitchen table.

hotmomofmakayla
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM

It depends on her mood when she comes home. If she is not grumby usuallly after she gets home. If she is grumpy we wait until after supper. 

MrsRinehart2010
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

when my kids are old enough to be in school they will do it right after school while having a snack.

ladyraven16
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
My oldest is in k so we don't do much and it depends on the night he gets it. If its Tuesday or Thursday we do it the following morning before he goes to school at 12:30. Any other day we do it right after school. Next year and after it will be done right after school before practices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
My dd is only in kindergarten so as soon as we get home I check her folder and help her if she has anything. Later I will just have her sit at the table and do it. Not immediately because I feel kids need time to unwind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerabitch69
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM
They play till about 630. Then inside doing hw while I make dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Immediately upon returning from school (stepson.) It depends if his homework involves a computer as to where he does it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

DS doesn't get homework. He's only 6.

firehorse13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My daughter is the only one in school right now, so for now she waits until her brothers are getting ready for bed to do her homework.  Daddy gives the boys a bath and gets them in bed, mommy helps with homework and signs whatever needs signing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured