Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (131-140):
bubba258
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Our school doesn't give homework until grade7. We do homework after a snack on days with no after school activities only. Half hour in grade7 increasing by 15min increments until grade 9. I have found by grade 9 they are able to choose how to manage their time between part-time jobs, sports etc. They very rarely have last minute panics when something is due and are getting awesome grades!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsull
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM
The two boys (6 and 9) get home at 2:15. Homework has to be done immediately, since they have soccer at 4pm and don't get home until 6:30pm. Then it's dinner, bath, teeth brushing, and bed. No time for procrastination in our household! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Right after school with the snack. She either does it at the kitchen table or in the office at my desk. She's in 4th grade. When her older sibs were in high school they did i in their rooms while spread out on the floor or bed. I'm trying to get her into a good habit before i let her go elsewhere but eventually i will let her decide if she does it in her room.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Normally right after school unless my husband isn't working OT. My son will wait till his dad gets home an hour after he gets home from work. He has no tv or video games till his HW is done though. He eats his snack while he works on his hw.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
We start out every school year doing it after dinner. If that starts being troubelsome (like it doesn't get done quickly in an effort to delay bedtime) we will so it right after school, for a few days, then they get the privilege of doing it after dinner again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM
My son does it right after school, at his desk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwblake2011
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Usually right after school while having a snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I give him a break between coming in from School. He's home at 3pm, so we usually do homework about 4:30pm-5pm before Dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klamomma2
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

My daughter is in 1st and my son is in pre-k, my son doesn't have HW I just have to read to him.  My daughter has to read for 20 minutes and practice her words.  Right now she has dance after school one day a week, soccer twice a week and my son has soccer twice a week so they come home eat a snack get ready for soccer or dance then we go wherever we have to go, after dinner we do homework, then bath/shower time and then go to bed. They have a little bit of "free" time in between everything that is their play time.  When the homework gets to be actual homework and not just reading we will do it after school, but the reading is a part of her bedtime routine a long with the other 2 kids. 

stykir
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

when i'm home 3 nights a week, i make sure we get it done soon after school. sometimes he'll want 10 min to lie down or go to the bathroom, play with the cats, whatever....but i like to start as soon as possible so we get it done. then one night a week daddy stays home while i work and ... haha , it just depends on how they all feel. fridays there's no homework.

right now he's only in first grade so homework takes maybe 10 minutes ... 1 math worksheet, usually a short story to read, then vocab, sight words, and spelling words to practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN