Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (151-160):
PolishMamma2
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I get a feel for how her day went. If she seems super hungry and sleepy I let her have a snack & nap first,, my daughter just turned 6 in July and she is in the 1st. Grade,, I think the older she gets the more pressure I will put on her but for now I don't want to create a hatred to school and homework.
nikabear
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM
After snack and a little down time is when we start homework. I would say around four for about an hour. All tvs are off, music devices and cell phones......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM
My kids do their homework after school at daycare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neptunekitty
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Right after school at the kitchen table.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanygone1130
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

My daughter just started pre-school. And this last week her teacher has been sending home things in her book bag (all the kids get them). Like what letter of the alphabet they learned that day. And what words they were working on in class. The parents are asked to spend 30 minutes a night helping the kids review what was taught in class that day.Or helping with anything the child might be struggling with.

I am a big fan of structure and routine. If I don't plan out my day, nothing ever gets done on time, or at all. So I need to add 30 minutes of homework/review time some where into our daily routine, I just don't know when though. One of my friends will sit down with her kids at the kitchen table as soon as they get home from school and do whatever needs doing. On one hand I think that is probably smart. They just got home so they are still gonna "kind of" be in learning mode. On the other hand, once the bell range their brains may have shut down and started rejecting any more learning for a little while. Plus they did just spend the day in school learning. Right after school seems like a good time for a break IDK.

I think I am gonna try making homework time right before dinner. That way she has come home, had a snack, has had some time to play and have some fun. We'll see how well it works. All kids are different.

shudderette
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM
I give my kids 30 min to play right after school then they do their homework at the diningroom table while I make dinner so i'm right there if they need help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheila_Kaye
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM

We do homework as soon as we're home. She can run to the bathroom, put on some play clothes, then sit's down to have a drink and a snack, does all of her homework and then does whatever she wants like watching cartoons for an hour or playing outside until dinner is ready. After dinner it's bathtime, book and then bed. But on the weekend's she doesn't have to do homework until Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

moneysaver6
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Mine don't have homework in the traditional sense.

But here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
azeventdiva
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM

When my oldest was in 4th grade, her teacher requested at the start of the year, that the parents of his students allow the kids to have some free time before doing homework. He said this would actually help them be more efficient with their homework. Ever since then, that is exactly what we've done with all the kids. I don't have a designated homework area at the moment, but do plan on having one when we move in a month. My oldest is now in 8th grade, and pretty much decides when she does her homework (she has almost straight A's, one B in there, so I don't really worry too much when she does her homework).

My next one is in Kindergarten. I pick her up from school, she comes home & play for a half hour, or watches a half hour of TV. And has a snack. Then we do her phonorams, math, and writing homework. Then she does more playing with her younger siblings, dinner, then bath. Before bed I read 2 stories to her (and her younger siblings), which is actually part of her homework too.

jamiebell
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM
My oldest is ADHD so it was advised to let him come home, unwind, have a snack play outside 1st. I just make sure its done before dinner cuz we go to the park every night. My 2nd is in kindergarten so we kinda follow the same pattern. They sit in school all day I figure let them breathe for a min before they have to sit down and do more school work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN