Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (161-164):
Bensmommy611
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM
My son just started kindergarten so we'll probably change our routine as we go, but for now he sits down and does homework right after school. He doesn't like doing it so it sometimes takes awhile, so I don't feel comfortable letting him wait till later. We also do his reading (he loves that part) right before bed, but that was our routine long before it was part of his homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Usually after supper... Kids stay at the table while I do the dishes... Generally only my 2nd grader, my oldest has work, but I give the other two coloring pages or something to keep them busy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM
After school....always. Nothing happens until homework is done. No play, no snack..nothing. They're 5 and 8. Homework takes maybe 20 minutes tops.
Diatech12
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Oi. My husband and I are both commited to helping our kids with their homework and having it be a structured even. 

Just this past weekend we were at his moms and she was going threw all his kid stuff, he was looking threw his old report cards and they were TERRIBLE, not because he didnt know anything but because he never did or turned in his homework. He asked her why he never sat down with him to help with his homework or made it more important that he do it. Her excuse was that her parents never did that for her, and to wait until our kids come home with math problems we dont understand. DH got pretty angry with her, and told her thats not a reason to just give up. She still has 3 in HS and all 3 are failing everything, DH and his 21yr old sister are the only ones to graduate HS out of 7 kids she has.

Homework and accountability of homework is going to be a big thing in our house!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN