Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My daughter is in 3rd grade..She does her homework right after she gets home from school..Sometime she does her homework at school while waiting for dance to begin.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

When DD gets home she get's an hour to relax and have a snack then she does her homework in the kitchen while I make diner. She seems to do it best when I am in there so that's what works for us.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

mine did it right after school. I did home daycare. Everyone came in washed and sat at my dining room table.First we had snack then homework session. The children who didn't attend school had "homework" of coloring or gluing something to keep them busty and made them feel part of the group. That way I could help those that needed it. Parents loved that the kids did their homework before being picked up. We did not do reading(most children had 20-30 min per night) that was done at bedtime. It worked well for us. When they got older and has sports after school it was usually done after dinner before bed.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

right after school and they do it at the kitchen table.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

It used to be right after school..But they always complained soo much. And really, they dont get home until 4. After snack it would be 430 by the time they started, atleast 5 when they were done. And dinner is at 530. Doesnt leave much outside time - which I think is important. SO- They do it in the mornings. We are not rushed. I wake them up at 7. They get dressed, eat breakfast and brush teeth. This take 25 minutes. Their bus doesnt come until 8:35 so that leaves an hour and 10 for homework.. Its a good prepper for the school day too, I think. And most days they even have a little time left to watch tv.

Sarafinn2012
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We do chores when they get home, play time, dinner, walk, homework, bathes, story time, bed. EVERY NIGHT. UGH! Honestly, it gets old and feels so very repetitive. The kids have an hours worth of homework every night and they're only in 2nd and 4th grade. Math, spelling, reading.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM
We homeschool so work is done during thye day. All day long we do stuff here and there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM

so far her only homework has been art shes in preschool but we have a box we play with it sometimes when she has no homework too

RhondaVeggie
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM
We do snack and then homework.
deepthinker
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My daughter goes to the babysitter after school for about an hour or so, and watches TV and plays with her brother until I get home. When I get home I start dinner, and she sits in the kitchen while I cook and do her homework. I let the food cool off a little before we eat, and check it while she sets the table. usually it's all right since she will ask for help if she needs it while doing it.  She can use any school/office supplies in the house she wants, but she does need to be in the kitchen so I can help when she needs it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN