Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
starryeyez23
by Leighsa on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
My oldest is only in kindergarten. He gets a packet on Monday that is due on Friday. He does one row of letters and one page every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies! 

vivi_la_juicy
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

We have a routine. They get home at 2:45, get their snack, play until 3:30, do homework (at kitchen table), then I cook dinner, we eat, bath time all before bedtime at 7:30.

violetlady
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM
We do it , before or after dinner. When my kids get home I let them play and relax later on they are refresh and more cooperative. I have all we need in my desk and I'm the one that chess what materials ate needed , I have a 4yr and a 6 yr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM
My girls do it 30 mins after they get home, unless it's an activity night. If it's an activity night, they do it afterwards.
They usually do their homework on the living room floor. Lol, they like their books spread everywhere for some reason.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

For my 2nd grader, it has to be done right after school while having a snack.  For my 8th grader, she can do it whenever she wants but not after bedtime.  And she has to do her chores BEFORE homework or she will pretend to do homework all night and never do the chores.

ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM
I let my daughter have a snack before she does homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

We tend to do ours just before dinner. He gets home from school around three, I get home at 4:30 and then we spend some time together, or I let him have the Kindle and I take my laptop and we play for a bit. We do homework around 6, and dinner at about 7, bath at 8 and bed at 9. 

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Whenever they have time.  I think it's hard to do it right after school, though.  They need a little down time first.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Naeem is in K and usually has a right much homework.  Much different than when I was in school.  Most days (9 times outta 10) we do homework as soon as we get home from school.  We do it at the kitchen table.  There are a few times when he's so tired that he takes a power nap then does his homework.  It's always done by 6pm though.  He plays soccer so he has practice or a game a couple times a week.  Plus we have other things going on so homework is first priority if he isn't too sleepy!  He knows there is no computer time until his library book is read and homework is completed & checked :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured