Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homework time at your house

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
MrsFlores_2006
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM
They have two choices so it right after school or at 4pm. I tell to chill eat a snack watch some tv before starting. That way it gives them a moment to relax then they can focuse better on homework. A lot of the time's do they right when they get home. They don't have a designated homework area though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommycrissa
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Mostly she does it after dinner while I'm cleaning up because she sits at the bar across from the sink while I wash dishes. Sometimes she does it while I'm cooking though. Last night I was going to let her do it after dinner but she requested BBQ and it was taking a while so she did it outside by the grill with me so it would be done before 8pm

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM
There is not really a set time in our home. Its dependent on what after school activities he has or what activities/events we have planned as a family. Usually though we get the hard subjects done before dinner and the easy stuff done after dinner or during breakfast time in the morning, since I can't get him to eat breakfast anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Mine come home, have a snack and do homework right then and there. No TV, games or going outside to play until EVERYONE is done. They all do their homework at the dining room table.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

after he has his snack he does homework so he can play his game or color or go outside & play :)

ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Ss is in 1st grade my dd is in kindergarten so usually we wait til after supper so dh can help his son and i can help my dd. There are days that dh will be workin late so i do dd soon after they get home and ss after that this way they get individual attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
airgoddess777
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My kids come home, change clothes, have a snack, and sit down at the kitchen table to do homework.  On Tu-Th, they have sports right after school, so homework gets done after sports/before dinner. 

vegepunkstr
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Right after school so they have the rest of the night to do whatever and dont have to worry about it.

vegepunkstr. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

MissMysteriouss
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
My teens do it when they want to. They are all honor students and I trust them to complete their work. They have desks in their bedrooms.

7 yr old DD does it a couple of hours after school. She sits at the kitchen table. Her homework is minimal because her private school believes most work should be done at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KLBrown
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

whenever, wherever

we have a pretty full schedule, so sometimes it's one doing homework during the other one's dance/gymnastics class, sometimes in the car on the way to/from, sometimes before/during/after dinner. as long as it gets done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN