Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex really asked me to let him stop paying child support UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yesterday, when my ex picked up the kids (we have 2 together) he had them go to the car and asked to speak with me. He said that his wife got laid off 2 months ago and hasn't been able to find a new job. He said they have it very hard financially because now he is supporting him, her and her 2 kids on his own, the only income she now has is the child support from her ex. I said, "well sorry, that sucks but why are you telling me this". He said that he needs me let him off the hook for child support, he pays $967 a month for the 2 kids. I said "so let me get this straight, you want to get out of supporting YOUR CHILDREN so that you can support your wife and her kids, no, if you don't pay every dime you owe, I will file a failure to pay motion." Seriously, I couldn't believe that he would even ask that. He said if he has to keep paying child support, they will have to more and her kids will have to move schools, again that sucks but it's not my  problem.

My ex dropped the kids at home last night and said "since YOU won't let me stop paying my child support and we still have 5 months left on our lease, we are screwed." He said it won't help that much to have her kids go live with her ex because then she wouldn't get child support and would have to pay something (it wouldn't be a lot because she isn't working but it would be something) and they are still in the same place so it's not like the kids being gone would let them get a smaller place. I said "listen your wife and her kids aren't your legal responsibility, our kids are so they should be the FIRST people you support. If it's really that bad tell her to get a fast food job or something but our kids have 2 employed parents, they should have to go without because your wife lost her job.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Replies (351-357):
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Quoting 2girlsYES:

So after you said that what did he say OP?

& by the way I think you are completely in the right here.

He said that it is my fault that now they will either have to move or send her kids to live with their dad.

by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM


by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Doesn't anybody just get married and have kids with ONE person and stay together anymore?

That completely solves this problem. 

But no, the Mom (or the Dad, if he is the one with custody) does NOT have legal authority to suspend child support payments.  The parent is simply a conduit for the children; the money is for the children.  Too bad, so sad if you have life events that interfere with paying child support, but the obligation remains.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM
If I were him I would ask for it to be lowered. Obviously they have hit a rough time financially.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM
I completely agree

Quoting 3earthangels:

I'll be the oddball, I would of helped him out. My ex and I both understand and agree that we both need to be stable physically, financially, mentally, and emotionally to best care for our children and will help each ither as best we can so we both can be great parents. Being unable to afford housing, bills, food...etc is an instability I could help him with to help my kids have a great life. *shrug* whatever floats your boat

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Was it just temporary?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM
I agree, but I think a grand a month for two kids is ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)