Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I never buy anything or donate money "for the cure" Do you?

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like it's a huge sham. I'd rather donate for the cause, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Do you donate to cure cancer or do you feel as I do that we can already cure it but we don't?

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
daughteroftruth
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

And he isn't the first.  There I think research funding fell through for the study on a chemical found in breast milk that showed to destroy bladder cancer cells.  And Vit C has been a long controversy.  

Quoting brettsmomma:

Why yes I do.  The pharmaceutical companies make way more money treating cancer then they do curing it. A couple years ago there was this scientist/dr who claimed he had cured a certain type of stomach cancer in lab animals but no one would finance his studies.. He made a huge deal about it on You tube and then died in an accident. 

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

The fuck ?? Don't you think if there was a cure people wouldn't be dying every day ? Seriously.

babynurse454
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Im ver active in our county's Breast Cancer Coalition, I buy so much Pink stuff, I volunteer on different groups, the Race for the Cure Run, etc.... Im also very passionate about other cancer awareness programs, my wonderful, awesome, incredible dad passed away almost 4 years ago from leukemia and that cancer I work with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GagaNTattooS
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Nope and never will they will never find a cure cancer is too big of a money marker
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiew2012
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I would donate directly to the cause rather than buy an item where a portion of the proceeds MIGHT get to the cause.

I disagree about the cure. Then again, I have a slightly different perspective. I do not have cancer, but I do have Multiple Sclerosis, which is without a cure. I've have read research closely to understand why it is so hard to find a cure. And I will donate, and ask for donations that go directly to the National MS Society, which is like the American Cancer Society. These Societies are held to strict regulations and have to show where the donations go. I know that a large portion of NMSS donations go to research for treatments and ultimately a cure. The other portion of donations provide help for patients living with MS for things they may not be able to afford, from medications to heating/cooling bills.

But I will not donate by purchasing something. The seller will still make a profit off of most items sold, and a small percentage of the sales goes to the charity. I have done direct sales, and I know the commission to the seller is often higher than the donation made from the sales.

C-K-Csmom
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I donate to JDRF to find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. My whole family also walks to earn more money for it.

I have donated to walking teams for breast cancer but I have never purchased anything that goes towards it.

I hope every penny we donate helps:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiecakesmommy
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM
This

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I think there are more effective cures out there that are not utilized.  

I will donate for research, but I have issues with buying products just for the sole purpose that a small portion will be donated.  I would rather just donate the money straight out.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cryzmom
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

i never did until my dad was diagnosed with Leukemia & Lymphoma now I donate & raise $$$ every year in memory of him he fought hard for 5 years & then lost his battle in march 2011....<3 U Dad :*

luvem630
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Yes I do. My Mom is a 10 year breast cancer survivor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3greatkids751
I have a child who has Chiari Malformation of the brain. I donate $ regularly and attend functions for it and fully believe they will one day find a cure.. My dd lives in pain DAILY because of this.. I also give to other causes as well after watching the hell my dd goes though because if there is any way I could help with finding a cure for these illnesses I would want to know I was a part of that no matter how small. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
1 mom liked this
We do not donate either. We believe that medical cures are many times in the prevention of first. Another thing is we believe that our society might gain more health if we were to study healthy people rather than sick people when looking to gain health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)