Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2nd grade homework!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

my ds had almost 2 hours of homework! this happens every night, Monday-Thursday. On weekends he has packet work as well. He had 5 worksheets and reading tonight. he gets a little extra because he has a reading pull out, so he missed an hour a day. i think its to much. how much homework do your children get?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

At second grade it was suppose to be 20 min. 

My oldest one dragged that right out to 3 to 4 hours. As long as he dragged his heels he kept working. If he worked hard, I cut him off at the 20 min. mark. Although his second grade teacher was a witch, and would add it to the next (when every other teacher in that building wouldn't). 
Sounds like some of it is classwork, idealy they would include class stuff in "reading pull out", and not hold him responsible for completing class work at home. Unless he's like my before mentioned oldest, who dawdled in school and brought home lots of extra. 

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Yikes, that is a lot! 2nd grade is 7, right? My son is only 4 and I have zero experience in this area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM
First grade, maybe an hour a week, and they have all week to do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM
My ss, 1st grade, has about two worksheets and a small book. Then he has his vocab words and spelling that he sometimes has do redo at home bc he's handwriting can be really bad, and dh is trying to teach him to always do his best. My dd, kindergarten, has a worksheet and flash cards with words letters and numbers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM
This sounds just like my younger brother. We use to all chip in and do homework with him so that my parents could each get a little down time and do anything that neede to be down around the house.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

My oldest one dragged that right out to 3 to 4 hours. As long as he dragged his heels he kept working. If he worked hard, I cut him off at the 20 min. mark. Although his second grade teacher was a witch, and would add it to the next (when every other teacher in that building wouldn't). 
Sounds like some of it is classwork, idealy they would include class stuff in "reading pull out", and not hold him responsible for completing class work at home. Unless he's like my before mentioned oldest, who dawdled in school and brought home lots of extra. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
biancalina20
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM
My dd. Is in kindergarten and she gets a lot too and it advances fast...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinenonstop
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM
My son gets a package every day of about 6-7 pages, math, writing and reading. He is also required to read one-2 chapters of a book in his grade level and write one paragraph summary of what he read. At the end of the week he must write a one page book report summarizing the book. He mist identify the problem in the book, the solution and what genre the book is. The book report is his only weekend assignment and is due on mondays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

he says some of it is extra but it it is blank and in his home folder it gets done and sent back. he always has practice spelling and math tests that we do every night. plus studying for vocab and spelling tests. even without extra there is still so much to do, i feel like i am still homeschooling sometimes. i also check his work and have him make corrections, all spelling has to be correct and in nice handwriting.

we did get a note the first day that said we will have 20 minutes of homework a night if it takes longer please contact me. i thinki will do that. not that i mind helping my ds but by the end of the week he is burnt out.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM
2 grade: Monday ABC order, Tuesday write dictation sentences 2x each, Thursday Write spelling words 3x each. I think there should be more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumaSue
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

My daughters counsellor told me [and she works closely with the local school district] it was 5 mins per school year per subject. My daughter is in 3rd grade so she should have no more than 20 mins per subject. She has just taken 15 mins to write out her weekly spelling words and that is all she has tonight. She will get 1 or 2 subjects a night but no more and this is Mon-Thu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN