Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I let my 2 yr old dd watch NickJr at night.  Shows like Little Bill, Little Bear, Wonder Pets... they calm her down before bed.  Tonight however.  I was aware that NickMom would be taking over - AFTER 10 pm.  At 9pm, they start.  I think "Oh well, it's a new thing.  Let's give it a try.  It's on NickJr, how bad could it be?"  O....M.....G.  Cussing.  Making jokes about the human anatomy.  Racist jokes.  So, my 2 yr old, after 10 minutes of hearing this (I was in shock... I had to be sure I wasn't finally losing it and that my ears did NOT deceive me), she comes in and (while giggling) tells me "circle shishin!" (circumsion) and "pee-is!" (penis) and oh yes... the "s" word.  Now, we don't cuss in my household - EVER.  Not a "oh, when I'm mad, I might say THIS" kinda thing.. No, we never cuss.  So to hear this from my child - or anyone's child! - really shocked me!  Yes, I do watch South Park and several adult-themed shows where cussing and rude language and behavior IS seen/heard, BUT not with my 2 yr old.  I am NOT the only mom who feels this way (just read the posts all over NickMom's fb page)....  This is a CHILDREN ONLY channel.  There should NOT be cussing on it.  If it were OWN, Lifetime, or any other channel, I would tolerate it.  NOT NickJr.  Instead, right now, I've resorted to Baby First TV.. my 2 yr old is less than happy over this, and NOT ready to calm down for story time and bed.  

If you think ADULT shows should be kept to ADULT channels, sign this petition - we need about 62 more signatures (last I checked!)

http://www.change.org/petitions/viacom-say-no-to-nickmom#
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
SavdNSanctified
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Signed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM
If you are looking for something to calm your 2 year old, there is another option besides babyfirst. Its sprout. They have something called the "goodnight show". The channel is a 24 hour toddler/preschool channel. I really like it. Its educational, colorful, and very soothing to a child. With directv its channel 295. I don't know what channel it is with other providers.the goodnight show starts at 6 o'clock and ends at 9 but then they play it on a loop until around 6am when it starts sprouts wiggly waffle. 6-9 is wiggly waffle, 9-12 is the good morning show, 12-1 is calliou, 1-2 is sesame street, 2-4 is the super sproutlet show, 4-6 is the sprout sharing show then 6-9 is the goodnight show. (I don't let my dd watch tv all day. I just was wondering what the channel focused on so I looked online) her fav seems to be the gnite show. If u want to look, the website is www.sproutonline.com.
heavenlybliss19
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

lol, I don't let those comments get to me.  They are uninformed and basing their comments on how THEIR children live.  

Quoting CarolenasMommy:

Signed it.....and ps who cares what other people let their kids do at bedtime jeez why do some mothers ALWAYS feel the need to judge?????

MDWife12
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Yeah I don't really care - my kids are in bed by 8 - 830 at the latest and if they are up at 9 they wont be watching tv.

heavenlybliss19
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

we don't have Sprout, either :(  I wound up replying on a few older recorded Blue's Clues episodes - to which my daughter told me "I don't like Blue's Clues"... BUT!  She was very sweet a few minutes ago!  She came over to me while I was sending in complaints to every website and facebook page I could find for Nickelodeon.  She asked me "What you doin, Mommy?"  I said "Trying to make sure your shows stay on at night."  She smiled and said "Cool!"  that's my girl :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM
I get it....but why would a toddler need tv at 9/10 pm? My 6 yr olds tv is off at9.
Byrd15
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I completely agree! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

matofour
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Read a book to her instead
If you don't like what's on change the channel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenlybliss19
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That's all well and good in a perfect world.  For those on the west coast, as stated before, this programming began at 7 pm.  Some children had late naps due to traveling, big events, or had their days and nights mixed up.  Those children were up at this time.  Outside of that, it is the principal of the thing.  A lot of kids these days do have tv sets in their bedrooms.  My own daughter woke up this morning and turned her cartoons on by herself.  Imagine a child with night terrors (as one mom on the facebook page designed for parents against NickMom was saying about her own child), one who calms down with a few minutes of a quiet cartoon like Pocoyo.  Imagine that child gets up in the night, turns on their tv only to find that his/her channel isn't what it used to be.  I am not asking you to agree with me, not everyone has the same opinion, I'm only asking you to consider that not everyone lives in your time zone, sleeps on your schedule, or even lives as you do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get it....but why would a toddler need tv at 9/10 pm? My 6 yr olds tv is off at9.

NicholasMama608
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Oh please there are a ton of kid only channels.  Sprout JR is on 24/7 and it's all toddler/pre-K shows.  If you don't want your kid watching the type of TV that is on NickMom after 9pm then use a DVD player and let her pick a movie or change the channel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN