Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I let my 2 yr old dd watch NickJr at night.  Shows like Little Bill, Little Bear, Wonder Pets... they calm her down before bed.  Tonight however.  I was aware that NickMom would be taking over - AFTER 10 pm.  At 9pm, they start.  I think "Oh well, it's a new thing.  Let's give it a try.  It's on NickJr, how bad could it be?"  O....M.....G.  Cussing.  Making jokes about the human anatomy.  Racist jokes.  So, my 2 yr old, after 10 minutes of hearing this (I was in shock... I had to be sure I wasn't finally losing it and that my ears did NOT deceive me), she comes in and (while giggling) tells me "circle shishin!" (circumsion) and "pee-is!" (penis) and oh yes... the "s" word.  Now, we don't cuss in my household - EVER.  Not a "oh, when I'm mad, I might say THIS" kinda thing.. No, we never cuss.  So to hear this from my child - or anyone's child! - really shocked me!  Yes, I do watch South Park and several adult-themed shows where cussing and rude language and behavior IS seen/heard, BUT not with my 2 yr old.  I am NOT the only mom who feels this way (just read the posts all over NickMom's fb page)....  This is a CHILDREN ONLY channel.  There should NOT be cussing on it.  If it were OWN, Lifetime, or any other channel, I would tolerate it.  NOT NickJr.  Instead, right now, I've resorted to Baby First TV.. my 2 yr old is less than happy over this, and NOT ready to calm down for story time and bed.  

If you think ADULT shows should be kept to ADULT channels, sign this petition - we need about 62 more signatures (last I checked!)

http://www.change.org/petitions/viacom-say-no-to-nickmom#
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
heavenlybliss19
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Once again - please think outside of what YOU Have and think of others who do NOT have access to Sprout or Disney Jr.  I'm not some ignorant Mom who did not spend time searching her entire list of channels for something that would be appropriate for her child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Um ok. Unclench.

Quoting heavenlybliss19:

That's all well and good in a perfect world.  For those on the west coast, as stated before, this programming began at 7 pm.  Some children had late naps due to traveling, big events, or had their days and nights mixed up.  Those children were up at this time.  Outside of that, it is the principal of the thing.  A lot of kids these days do have tv sets in their bedrooms.  My own daughter woke up this morning and turned her cartoons on by herself.  Imagine a child with night terrors (as one mom on the facebook page designed for parents against NickMom was saying about her own child), one who calms down with a few minutes of a quiet cartoon like Pocoyo.  Imagine that child gets up in the night, turns on their tv only to find that his/her channel isn't what it used to be.  I am not asking you to agree with me, not everyone has the same opinion, I'm only asking you to consider that not everyone lives in your time zone, sleeps on your schedule, or even lives as you do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get it....but why would a toddler need tv at 9/10 pm? My 6 yr olds tv is off at9.

Eyvette
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I know there are some moms that live in a perfect world where their child goes to sleep at 7:30. That is not the case in my home. If my kid genes to sleep at 7:30, he is up 3 hour later and ready to play until 4AM. Yes, up until Monday, Oct. 1, he watched nickjr past 9:00 PM. We always let him watch Pocoyo at 10PM. I purposely do not think about bedtime until 11. He does not watch TV during the day so he can watch at night.

The nickmom programming is explicit...on a toddler channel. The commercials they run for it are promoting alcohol use and sexual promicuity during the day. There are plenty of adult channels on all the time. If nickmom was at least clean enough for my child to be in the same room, I would not be as angry. As it is, I cannot allow my child to watch nickjr at any time. What if the television was left off, but on that station. I would not want my child exposed to 15 seconds of the filth I saw when I tuned in on Monday for a few minutes.

Nickjr and nickmom are banned in my home. I am fortunate to have Disney Jr. No more purchases of nick products will be made. One good thing... I will never have to see Dora or Diego again. I hate those shows but my kid loved them so I let it slide. Not anymore.

No problem with signing the petition here!
notredamefan916
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

wow

TraceyMR
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Wait, you feel circumcision and penis are cussing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I don't like it

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I freaking HATE Nickmom. I pay extra for the cable package that includes Nick Jr and they pull it at 7 my time!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM
My 4yro has severe insomnia that medication barely touches, Nick Jr was a perfect channel until Nickmom

Quoting Anonymous:

I get it....but why would a toddler need tv at 9/10 pm? My 6 yr olds tv is off at9.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TraceyMR
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Use Babyfirst TV, for dishnet, it is free and is channel number 9400

Quoting heavenlybliss19:

just realized... i get nearly every disney channel... except disney junior.  dish network apparently doesn't have it. :(

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM
My 3 year old watches tv for a few minutes to help her sleep at night to. I walked in to check on her and heard that crap. I was like "what on earth is this?" Luckily, she was already asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)