Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bullies and hitting back

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
I was bullied as a kid, I was punched hit, kicked, spit on, my hair was pulled, my bra strap snapped. The list goes on and on.

My mother told me to fight back. That I could hit a kid that hit me first. I did, each and every time and yet I was the one punished and my bullies were not.

It also didn't teach them any lessons, I was actually bullied worse when I retaliated because the bullies saw I was the one in Trouble not them.

No amount of talking to teachers or principals or superintendents worked.

So please next time you give your child advice think about the possible consequences even when they are defending themselves.

My mother never punished me when I fought back but the school sure did.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

My daddy always said to pick the biggest one and take them out. It has been my experience that it works.

My daughter knows that if she is being bullied, she needs to defend herself. She also knows that she may be punished by the school, but her dad and I will not punish her for protecting herself.

CafeMom Tickers
Michellina11234
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

My son was suspended for fighting back, after years of being bullied. When the school called and told me, I told them that i would make it a mini vacation for him. They told me that was wrong. What would be right, letting him get beat until he is seriously injured? No I told my kids to fight back, protect their bodies, since apparently the school fails to do so.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
That's the advice I will give my boys. Most likely all kids involved would be suspended if a physical fight happened at school...least these days. Lol.
I wouldn't want to see them in trouble with the school, but I wouldn't want to see them go through what you did and do nothing about it theirself. And you're right the schools don't like to prevent as much as they should, which is why I give that advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM

honestly... if i tried to get the schools to step in- and they didnt... and it went to the point where i told my kids to hit back-- and the school got them in trouble- either in school suspension, or out of school suspension-- i'd make that the best time possible for him-- take him to cedar point, go stay in a hotel and swim all night, etc.

if the bullying got worse... sad to say, but i would NOT have a problem with my son beating up on them until they cried for their mommies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM
kids need to be taught how to handle bullies in a non violent way! They need these tools for when they are adults! Hitting back is against the law!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The school just tried to have my teen sign a "no self defence" waiver- she's told them she's not a victim.

beerabitch69
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:51 AM
My kids know after the bully throws the first punch it's a free for all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM

oh we jumped the neighborhood bully. Me and 10 other girls. She never bullied any of us ever again.

Paige03
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I was taught the same thing. I did as I was taught. However. There is a big difference is the other kid pushes you or give you one punch and you beat the shit out of them! Doing that yes you will get in trouble. I would give back what they gave me. Did I ever get in trouble? Yes once, but I deserved it as I took it to far. 
Would I teach my children to do it? Not exactly. Now they have zero tolerance in school around here  which means if your defending yourself you too will get in trouble. However  I will not teach my child to be a door mat. Violence is wrong we will all agree. But there are exceptions. If it was between my child being seriously injured or her defending her self....I'll take the self defence and the school suspension! As the other mother said, I would not punnish her it would be a vacation. She knows when it is appropriate to defend and that it's not a free for all for her to be a bully.
I did it when I was younger and have never had any physical altercations as an adult! So just because you teach your children to defend themselves doesn't mean as adults they are going to go around abusing people.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ds was being bullied. I always tell my kids to defend themselves. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)