Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes She's 8 & Yes She Plays Outside Alone!!!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 243 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am sure I will be bashed but whatever.

I do not see the big deal if my DD is 8yrs old & out riding her bike w/her friends.  I am not out there watching her 24/7.  I can't be out there all the time & she LOVES being outside.

All of us randomly check on all the kids, all the kids check in periodically & ask if they can go to someone's house.

How in the hell is this child endangerment?  I guess I am a horrible parent bc my DD comes home from school, does her homework & hops out the door while I make dinner.  I guess it would be better if I made her stay in & watch TV or play video games.

I wish people would learn to let other parents be, I raise my kids how I see fit & they raise theirs how they see fit.  I don't walk up to them telling them that they are suffocating their children so what gives them the right to tell me anything!

Am I the only parent w/an 8yr old that can go ride her bike in the neighborhood, or to a friends house that is literally right behind us?

And yes we have sidewalks & very very little traffic around here.

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Shame on you woman!!!!

My 4yr old is outside playing with this dogs as I type this. LOL

stefvan
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM
6 moms liked this

Debra Mae Helmick was riding her bike outside of her house when she was 9.  Her body was found about a week later.  A child can be snatched in the blink of an eye.

Edit - OP further went to say in a reply to me her dd is never alone.  She is outside with friends, which is very different than what i was replying to. 

Some things stick with you for the rest of your life.  Debra Mae Helmick and Shari Smith getting kidnapped is something that has stuck with me.  As I said in another post, my dd goes to school and is friends with Shari Smith's nephew and her sister and I are in booster club together.  This situation is very real and very close to our family even though it was a long time ago.  Whenever I hear of any other child being taken, my mind goes right back to these 2 girls.

ashleighmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM
My 8 yr old son does the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candi_gal
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I have no problem with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.thatsme.
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM
My kids are 8, 6 and 2. They DO NOT play outside by themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the harm.  My boys (7 and ) play in our yard alone, its huge and fenced in.  I don't let them ride their bikes in the road without me because people do not obey the speed limit on our road but I will let them ride out into the cul-de-sac.  At some point you have to let them go out alone, and as long as you are checking on them often there is no harm.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM
4 moms liked this

Your point?

I will not live in fear & neither will my children.

I teach them safety & they are never alone.

Anything can happen at any point in time.  A child could fall out of a tree & die yet they are still climbing.

There are rules in place & she follows them.

Quoting stefvan:

Debra Mae Helmick was riding her bike outside of her house when she was 9.  Her body was found about a week later.  A child can be snatched in the blink of an eye.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

My 7 1/2 year old DS plays outside by himself.  He sometimes goes out back to a neighbor's house (they have a trampoline) but he stays where I can see him by peeking out the window or door.  He's allowed to ride his bike to the end of the cul-de-sac too.

harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLeanna
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Your child can be taken from you in a target.

You can't live in fear.

Quoting stefvan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN